Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Chelsea [Premier League] Sun 20th Oct @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of October and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W8 D6 L7

We Are Top Of The League

Read 31915 times
      Kurt Cocaine
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,210 posts | 215 
      Re: We Are Top Of The League
      Reply #368: Oct 01, 2024 01:03:56 pm
      Wont be long before your in knee jerker thread.  :lmao:
      "you're"
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,888 posts | 1225 
      Reply #369: Oct 01, 2024 01:12:58 pm
      Looking at the fixtures, it's an important month with a lot of tough games.
      Still, better to be heading into that month top than to be chasing points.
      Hopefully it's a time that builds confidence in the squad and management

Looks like i jinxed us. Jota not in training today !!!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,128 posts | 2866 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #370: Oct 01, 2024 03:56:41 pm

I’ll be getting sacked in the morning then. You joined the forum police .
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,118 posts | 4147 
      • Does anyone ever listen to him?
      Reply #371: Oct 01, 2024 04:08:46 pm
      Looks like i jinxed us. Jota not in training today !!!

Jota just picked up a knock
      Scottbot

• 9,840 posts | 2259 
      Reply #372: Oct 02, 2024 01:10:52 pm
      Great to see this thread near the top of the board! I'm not carried away though, we haven't really played anyone yet but it's been a really encouraging start to the Slot reign. Let's see how we look once we play the likes of City, Arse and Villa. Chelsea are in a run of form so that will be a barometer of where this team is at.

Biggest plusses for me after 6 games are:

- The form of Gravenberch. He has been terrific. I felt he was a bit of a luxury player and a last minute panic buy last season. I desperately wanted Zubimendi and was gutted when we didn't get him. I thought the idea of Grav at 6 was a bad one but he has been a revelation. He plays very differently to just about every other 6 you will see. Yes he plays on the half-turn and is comfortable receiveing the a ball in busy areas but the way he is able to glide forward with the ball and transition play with his legs (as well as his passes) has been terrific. OFF the ball he has also been terrific, he marks, tracks and tackles. He's not great in the air but gives it a go and his pressing is good, plus when he wins it high he moves the ball quickly.

- Defensive solidity. I loved Klopp and the chaos but it was like wathcing basketball at times. I only felt comfortable when we had a 4 goal lead! Literally on slight tenderhooks at 3-0 up! That has changed now. We look pretty solid at the back. VVD looks like he he can play another 2-3 years at the top with the protection he has in front of him. Trent isn't nearly as exposed. Notice that no one is talking about his defending anymore?

- The manager doesn't take any sh*t and he is decisive. First game of the season, hooks Quansah at half-time. Puts in Ibra and Quansah has barely been in since. I can't remember which game it was, we made a poor start. Within 15 minutes he adjusted the shape of the team (dropping Mac right back with Grav) and suddenly we had the platform/base to play again. Tren throws a little strop when he got subbed early in one of the first games. Slot does exactly the same thing in the next game. Simple message "i'm the f***in BOSS, even if you are in a contract year".

Lots to like if you're a RED!!!!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,563 posts | 3527 
      Reply #373: Oct 02, 2024 03:35:37 pm
      we haven't really played anyone yet

This isn't aimed at you mate but rather a general thing for those using this argument because it pisses me off. Before almost every game this season, we've been told how big a test it is for us then when we come through it with flying colours, it gets brushed off.

Ipswich on the opening day - "big test this for Liverpool, not gonna be easy against a newly promoted team who haven't been in the top flight for twenty odd years as well as how difficult it's going to be for Slot to replace Klopp". Liverpool win comfortably and "it's only Ipswich, the real test will be doing in front of 50,000 expectant Liverpool fans at Anfield."

Brentford at Anfield. "It's only Brentford, the first real test for Liverpool will be going to Old Trafford."

United away. "This is a poor United side that are still coming to terms with what the manager wants, the first real test for Liverpool will come when they have to play two games a week once European football starts."

We obviously had the hiccup against Forest, which I don't think anybody saw coming. So suddenly the next "first real test" came about how we'd respond to actually losing a game and we responded with a win, following a win in the European Cup.

Then the next "first real test" came at Wolves because we had to prove we could with being top as well as take advantage of the two sides who it's already been decided will be fighting for the title when they drop points.

So it only seems like we haven't played anybody after the events. Like I said, before every game we've been told this is the first real test for Arne and the club with the exception being the Forest game, which is the one we blew. We're now being told how going to Palace is the first real test, until we tw*t them and then it'll be "Liverpool beat another side in the relegation zone."

Every week you'll hear people talk about how there's no easy games in this League, that's why Forest can come to Anfield and win. And all of this is with a new manager coming in, who we were told had no chance whatsoever of doing well because he was replacing Jürgen and since United fell apart after Ferguson, it was inevitable that we would after Klopp.

We'll all play the same 38 games, we've got through six of them already and we're top. So as you finished your post with, lots to like if you're a Red.
      Scottbot

• 9,840 posts | 2259 
      Reply #374: Oct 02, 2024 10:21:44 pm
      This isn't aimed at you mate but rather a general thing for those using this argument because it pisses me off. Before almost every game this season, we've been told how big a test it is for us then when we come through it with flying colours, it gets brushed off.

Ipswich on the opening day - "big test this for Liverpool, not gonna be easy against a newly promoted team who haven't been in the top flight for twenty odd years as well as how difficult it's going to be for Slot to replace Klopp". Liverpool win comfortably and "it's only Ipswich, the real test will be doing in front of 50,000 expectant Liverpool fans at Anfield."

Brentford at Anfield. "It's only Brentford, the first real test for Liverpool will be going to Old Trafford."

United away. "This is a poor United side that are still coming to terms with what the manager wants, the first real test for Liverpool will come when they have to play two games a week once European football starts."

We obviously had the hiccup against Forest, which I don't think anybody saw coming. So suddenly the next "first real test" came about how we'd respond to actually losing a game and we responded with a win, following a win in the European Cup.

Then the next "first real test" came at Wolves because we had to prove we could with being top as well as take advantage of the two sides who it's already been decided will be fighting for the title when they drop points.

So it only seems like we haven't played anybody after the events. Like I said, before every game we've been told this is the first real test for Arne and the club with the exception being the Forest game, which is the one we blew. We're now being told how going to Palace is the first real test, until we tw*t them and then it'll be "Liverpool beat another side in the relegation zone."

Every week you'll hear people talk about how there's no easy games in this League, that's why Forest can come to Anfield and win. And all of this is with a new manager coming in, who we were told had no chance whatsoever of doing well because he was replacing Jürgen and since United fell apart after Ferguson, it was inevitable that we would after Klopp.

We'll all play the same 38 games, we've got through six of them already and we're top. So as you finished your post with, lots to like if you're a Red.

I always view United away as a real test but in hindsight it wasn’t. They are the palest shadow of themselves but for so many years it was the toughest fixture of the season. Also, there have been plenty of seasons where we fared very well vs our rivals but then slipped up against lesser teams. It’s great that we’ve put the lesser teams to the sword thus far and taking lots of maximum points (rather than draws). Chelsea in a couple of weeks will be a good measuring stick though.
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 20 
      Reply #375: Oct 03, 2024 11:44:49 am

- Defensive solidity. I loved Klopp and the chaos but it was like wathcing basketball at times. I only felt comfortable when we had a 4 goal lead! Literally on slight tenderhooks at 3-0 up! That has changed now. We look pretty solid at the back. VVD looks like he he can play another 2-3 years at the top with the protection he has in front of him. Trent isn't nearly as exposed. Notice that no one is talking about his defending anymore?

- The manager doesn't take any sh*t and he is decisive. First game of the season, hooks Quansah at half-time. Puts in Ibra and Quansah has barely been in since. I can't remember which game it was, we made a poor start. Within 15 minutes he adjusted the shape of the team (dropping Mac right back with Grav) and suddenly we had the platform/base to play again. Tren throws a little strop when he got subbed early in one of the first games. Slot does exactly the same thing in the next game. Simple message "i'm the f***in BOSS, even if you are in a contract year".

Lots to like if you're a RED!!!!!

Great post - however, after last night's game (and generally these past few games) I don't think Trent's out of the woods yet as far as his defensive abilities and attitude are concerned. 

I do like Arne's decisiveness but I wonder how much damage that did to Quansah's confidence when he was yanked off against Ipswich.  He's only had the LC game since where he played ok (nothing he could do about the og and he came back well).  Similarly, Joe Gomez, who I thought was one of our better players last season, must be feeling pretty pissed off at his lack of game time, especially if the inferior Kostas substitues for Robbo.

Big Virg has been excellent and I hope Michael Edwards doesn't pension him (and Mo) off and gives him the contract renewal he deserves.

If Arne wins an FA Cup in his first six years he'll equal Arteta's record at Arsenal and so, for me, as well as it's going so far, it's all about patience and letting him build the team he wants. 
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,420 posts | 521 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #376: Oct 03, 2024 11:54:52 am
      Going to have to make the title of this thread plural soon  :angel:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,095 posts | 6981 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #377: Oct 04, 2024 01:04:18 am
      Harrisimo

• 8,855 posts | 1507 
      Reply #378: Oct 04, 2024 09:36:37 am
      Saying we hate the early Saturday morning kick offs was a mistake..not a big one but we shudder said.."We love the early mid day kick offs"....then the planners would make sure we only get the odd one.

Now Selhurst Park is not the most welcoming place but get there, drag yerself out of bed, get yer boots on and don't feck about...got it.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,457 posts | 7352 
      Reply #379: Oct 04, 2024 11:32:42 am
      Looking forward to increasing our lead at the top tomorrow. Feel very secure in this type of fixture we are solid and devastating at the same time
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,420 posts | 521 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #380: Oct 04, 2024 11:45:06 am
      Saying we hate the early Saturday morning kick offs was a mistake..not a big one but we shudder said.."We love the early mid day kick offs"....then the planners would make sure we only get the odd one.

Now Selhurst Park is not the most welcoming place but get there, drag yerself out of bed, get yer boots on and don't feck about...got it.

Already appears as thoughArne is slowly but surely trying to change this narrative....if his presser this morning has anything to go by.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,563 posts | 3527 
      Reply #381: Oct 05, 2024 02:52:32 pm
      Guaranteed to be top going into another pointless international break.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,444 posts | 797 
      Reply #382: Oct 05, 2024 02:58:36 pm
      F**K these international breaks, we need a clear run of games. Let's hope we can keep this run going after the international break.
      Harrisimo

• 8,855 posts | 1507 
      Reply #383: Oct 13, 2024 09:29:55 am
      We'll have VVD back early after red card V Hungary away.Booked for what looked like doing a 'book him ref'  waving an imaginary yellow card. He must know that's a real yellow card offence.

Then 2nd yellow 3 minutes later for bringing down a winger, although he did get a toe on it. Now misses the Germany game. First International red card.
      Harrisimo

• 8,855 posts | 1507 
      Reply #384: Yesterday at 05:06:17 pm
      Back to business.Chelsea on Sunday. Last season they pitched up, saw that Taylor was ref and started diving all over the place thinking Taylor will give them everything. Taylor to his credit was having none of it.

We nailed them 4-1. Just don't like Chelsea..deffo No2 after the obvious team, on my teams to dislike list. Spend spend spend and their still crap. Palmer is about the only decent player they've got.

3-1

n.b. after that Leipzig..better go easy on them..don't want to upset..JK..
      « Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:11:26 pm by Harrisimo »

Quick Reply