Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

Player Contracts

Read 7361 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      • Does anyone ever listen to him?
      Re: Player Contracts
      Reply #115: Sep 02, 2024 04:50:25 pm
      Sorry when are these words from ?

He hasn’t posted on Twitter for 4 years looking at his profile ?

Last thing he posted of note re LFC was 2020 after winning the league.

https://x.com/John_W_Henry/status/1276263501011484672
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #116: Sep 02, 2024 04:51:45 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #117: Sep 02, 2024 05:39:50 pm
      It's inconceivable that Trent won't be offered a new long term deal...it will happen. Slightly more complicated with the other two because of their ages; although I expect the club to offer them both new contracts.....Why not already?  perhaps it's a difficult exercise, weighing up unknowns and fixing a value on it....we're talking about tens/hundreds of millions of pounds.
      ....or equally as inconceivable, the club might not want them.

Yep.

At that age they are at you have to have some thoughts to 'what happens if their firm or fitness drops of a cliff'

Give Virgil another 3/4 years and he turns into an OAP overnight then same people moaning that we should be getting contract's sorted would be moaning that they shouldn't have gave such a long contract to a guy in his 30's.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      • Does anyone ever listen to him?
      Reply #118: Sep 02, 2024 05:42:50 pm

That was a quote tweet.
      I meant his own posts and they formed a thread.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #119: Sep 02, 2024 05:44:28 pm
      That was a quote tweet.
      I meant his own posts and they formed a thread.

Sorry yeah saw that thread

Can’t see any post in regards player speculation ages etc hence asking when he said it

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,762 posts | 1193 
      Reply #120: Sep 02, 2024 05:56:15 pm
      Yep.

At that age they are at you have to have some thoughts to 'what happens if their firm or fitness drops of a cliff'

Give Virgil another 3/4 years and he turns into an OAP overnight then same people moaning that we should be getting contract's sorted would be moaning that they shouldn't have gave such a long contract to a guy in his 30's.

Salah's form is of no concern. They dont have a crystal ball. Just the same eyes as ive got. And he's fit, strong and can play at this level for at least another 2/3 seasons minimum in my opinion from what i see with my eyes.

His injury record is outstanding.

Van dijk , bar prickford has an excellent injury record. He is still one of the top defenders in the world. He looks fit and strong to me. He hardly looks like hendo who couldnt run or play many games when he was given a long term deal.

Trent has not reached his peak.

Its a no brainer to give all 3 new deals. Every top side in europe would take all 3 of them, especially for free.

Losing them is unthinkable. Losing them for free is gross negligence.

You would be looking at 150m + to replace them, without receiving a penny for them. An amount we all know will never be forthcoming. 50m in the kitty would be optimistic.

No top club allows 3 core first team players players to leave for free.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #121: Sep 02, 2024 06:02:23 pm
      Salah's form is of no concern. They dont have a crystal ball. Just the same eyes as ive got. And he's fit, strong and can play at this level for at least another 2/3 seasons minimum in my opinion from what i see with my eyes.

His injury record is outstanding.

Van dijk , bar prickford has an excellent injury record. He is still one of the top defenders in the world. He looks fit and strong to me. He hardly looks like hendo who couldnt run or play many games when he was given a long term deal.

Trent has not reached his peak.

Its a no brainer to give all 3 new deals. Every top side in europe would take all 3 of them, especially for free.

Losing them is unthinkable. Losing them for free is gross negligence.

You would be looking at 150m + to replace them, without receiving a penny for them. An amount we all know will never be forthcoming. 50m in the kitty would be optimistic.

No top club allows 3 core first team players players to leave for free.

I'm not saying we shouldn't renew them just that it's not a simple give then what they want.

You mentioned Hendo and he is one who's legs seemed to disappear over one summer.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #122: Sep 02, 2024 06:06:57 pm
      I'm not saying we shouldn't renew them just that it's not a simple give then what they want.

You mentioned Hendo and he is one who's legs seemed to disappear over one summer.
      Yeah both Henderson and Fabinhos legs just went after contract extensions and then we also extended the likes of Thiago and Matip

They will be making sure it’s the right idea for the future to offer new contracts ? Especially with VVD and Mo
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 548 
      Reply #123: Sep 02, 2024 06:28:38 pm
      Sorry yeah saw that thread

Can’t see any post in regards player speculation ages etc hence asking when he said it

He said it not long after buying the club and since then he's been more or less a man of his word. Incoming have been a certain age and when players have hit 32+ most but not all have moved on.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #124: Sep 02, 2024 06:31:10 pm
      He said it not long after buying the club
      So something over a decade ago 🤦‍♂️

Do you think by any chance that things have changed just a little since then
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 548 
      Reply #125: Sep 02, 2024 06:37:56 pm
      So something over a decade ago 🤦‍♂️

Do you think by any chance that things have changed just a little since then

Why would it change? Why would an owner in your words even be interested in the age profile of a playing squad?

Now for what it's worth I think JWH is/was right. You don't buy 30 year old like United and stick them on 5 year contracts ala Casemiro etc...

It's very prudent to keep the playing squad at a certain age and I'd say every club in Europe keeps an eye on it.

But Mo and Virgil are glaring exceptions in my book and i just hope there is some leeway factored in to the play book to facilitate their contracts being extended.

Mo in particular looks an absolute monster.

But the fly in the ointment is Trent who also hasn't heard anything and whos age is of zero concern.

The whole thing is very odd.
      « Last Edit: Sep 02, 2024 06:42:57 pm by __Tickle__ »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #126: Sep 02, 2024 06:41:05 pm
      Why would it change? Why would an owner in your words even be interested in the age profile of a playing squad?

Now for what it's worth I think JWH is/was right. You don't buy 30 year old like United and stick them on 5 year contracts ala Casemiro etc...

It's very prudent to keep the playing squad at a certain age and I'd say every club in Europe keeps an eye on it.

But Mo and Virgil are glaring exceptions in my book and i just hope there is some leeway factored in to the play book to facilitate their contracts being extended.

And we have in the past extended contracts of players above the age of 30

Each case has been judged on its own merits

You are making judgements on something said over a decade ago - no context to the current situation, the judgement of contract renewals will be down to Hughes , Edwards with Hogan involved

If the data says it’s worth giving Mo and VVD extended deals at a certain level they will offer them - they will judge on the potential output on the next two years . As fans we all think they will still be key players for us - I think slot will think the same and a deal will be done

It’s also something City doing with De Bryune

__Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 548 
      Reply #127: Sep 02, 2024 06:46:12 pm
      And we have in the past extended contracts of players above the age of 30

Each case has been judged on its own merits

You are making judgements on something said over a decade ago - no context to the current situation, the judgement of contract renewals will be down to Hughes , Edwards with Hogan involved

If the data says it’s worth giving Mo and VVD extended deals at a certain level they will offer them - they will judge on the potential output on the next two years . As fans we all think they will still be key players for us - I think slot will think the same and a deal will be done

It’s also something City doing with De Bryune

I know we have and also in the past we have sold and have been proven right to sell too. Not many have left here and gone on to better things.

Virgil and Mo are a little different because the wages they command will be much greater to the likes of Milner who was kept around.

But again even if age is a factor here what's the deal with TAA?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #128: Sep 02, 2024 06:49:07 pm
      I know we have and also in the past we have sold and have been proven right to sell too. Not many have left here and gone on to better things.

Virgil and Mo are a little different because the wages they command will be much greater to the likes of Milner who was kept around.

But again even if age is a factor here what's the deal with TAA?

The wages won’t be an issue if they are playing week in week out

Maybe there will be some sort of adjustment for appearance fees etc

TAA - not sure , maybe it’s the head turning from Madrid , the change last year and Bradley coming in etc - his will be looking at the same level of money as VVD , he will be offered one or has done already and we will have to see. I don’t think he wants to leave

__Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 548 
      Reply #129: Sep 02, 2024 06:55:21 pm
      Either way my take now is Mo and Virgil will do the whole 'concentrating on the current season' thing now. I cannot see them signing new contracts until after the season if either do.

I would hope that Trent gets his done this season. Preferably the club should work on it now during the Int. Break.

Time to go back to basking over beating United.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #130: Sep 02, 2024 07:11:46 pm
      Either way my take now is Mo and Virgil will do the whole 'concentrating on the current season' thing now. I cannot see them signing new contracts until after the season if either do.

I would hope that Trent gets his done this season. Preferably the club should work on it now during the Int. Break.

Time to go back to basking over beating United.

Suspect it will be just like last time  - all announced out of the blue
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,166 posts | 584 
      Reply #131: Sep 02, 2024 09:29:05 pm
      Yeah both Henderson and Fabinhos legs just went after contract extensions and then we also extended the likes of Thiago and Matip

They will be making sure it’s the right idea for the future to offer new contracts ? Especially with VVD and Mo

Yeah but despite their legs having gone, cos they'd signed new contracts we still got money for them (big money in Fab's case) when we got rid of them. Which doesnt happen if you let their contracts run out.

The question to ask is -  if we thought Virgil n Mo had declined enough that we wanted to offload them, would other clubs be interested in buying them? And the answer to that is abso-f***in-lutely. So it still makes sense to offer them a deal even if you think their legs might go (which there is no sign of yet).
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #132: Sep 02, 2024 09:32:42 pm
      Yeah but despite their legs having gone, cos they'd signed new contracts we still got money for them (big money in Fab's case) when we got rid of them. Which doesnt happen if you let their contracts run out.

The question to ask is -  if we thought Virgil n Mo had declined enough that we wanted to offload them, would other clubs be interested in buying them? And the answer to that is abso-f***in-lutely. So it still makes sense to offer them a deal even if you think their legs might go (which there is no sign of yet).

And that’s the call they will have to make

I don’t think there is an issue with Mo

But think we need to be careful with VVD ( and why I want to see a LCB arrive )

He has over the last season and summer shown a few leggy moments and think we need to manage him well
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,095 posts | 8981 
      Reply #133: Sep 02, 2024 09:46:18 pm
      Last thing he posted of note re LFC was 2020 after winning the league.

https://x.com/John_W_Henry/status/1276263501011484672

Waiting until we next win the league!!

I'd rather they didn't comment, seeing as they know jackshit about the sport.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,166 posts | 584 
      Reply #134: Sep 02, 2024 09:50:03 pm
      And that’s the call they will have to make

I don’t think there is an issue with Mo

But think we need to be careful with VVD ( and why I want to see a LCB arrive )

He has over the last season and summer shown a few leggy moments and think we need to manage him well

But you are talking as if there are pros and cons over whether to offer them new deals or not. And what I'm asking is - what are the cons?

You seemed to be citing the cases of Fab n Hendo as an example of what could go wrong but, as I say, it didn't go wrong.

And note I am not saying give them whatever money they want. How much we should offer them is a different question. (Eg you don't want them on wages that no-one else would match, cos then you'd struggle to offload them if you later wanted to.) I'm saying we should offer them all a deal. And I can't think why we wouldn't. I can't think of any reason not to. And I don't think you can either, but I'd be interested to hear one.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,035 posts | 6624 
      Reply #135: Sep 02, 2024 09:53:19 pm
      Suspect it will be just like last time  - all announced out of the blue

I thought Trent already signed? 🤷🏻‍♂️
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #136: Sep 02, 2024 10:03:46 pm
      But you are talking as if there are pros and cons over whether to offer them new deals or not. And what I'm asking is - what are the cons?

You seemed to be citing the cases of Fab n Hendo as an example of what could go wrong but, as I say, it didn't go wrong.

And note I am not saying give them whatever money they want. How much we should offer them is a different question. (Eg you don't want them on wages that no-one else would match, cos then you'd struggle to offload them if you later wanted to.) I'm saying we should offer them all a deal. And I can't think why we wouldn't. I can't think of any reason not to. And I don't think you can either, but I'd be interested to hear one.

I don’t think there is any cons with TAA

With Mo and VVD there is always going to be the question mark because of their age

I don’t see it being an issue with Mo , if he signs for an extra two years then I think his level will stay consistent

VVD will be 34 , that’s going to be a bit of a question mark and there will be some doubts but I hope he also gets a couple more years
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts | 282 
      Reply #137: Sep 02, 2024 10:15:46 pm
      I think Virgil in this slot system is fine

Honestly, he had been one of the greatest cb the league has seen

He was immortal imo, now that he is 34 I  see him on the same level as other top cbs, in terms of his speed

Yes he has lost a bit but guess what, he is quick as 80 percent of top cbs imo. I really think he can be like Thiago silva and play for a while. He has more protection now under our new system and will be fine this season and next. Issue is when he isn’t playing

Give mo and him 2 years

Then in jan get a cb in if we can for vvd replacement eventually

After 2 years both will most likely go

Quick Reply