Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D6 L8

Liverpool over and under rated 11s

Read 3676 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Liverpool over and under rated 11s
      Aug 05, 2024 09:06:15 am
      I dont think we have done this topic before or if we have its a long time ago

Over rated can still be a good player for the club but perhaps got hyped up too much or praised too much, likewise underated can be someone who got respect from fans but not as much as they should or as much as other players who they done as much as

If someone was sh*te but everyone knew it then dont count them as overrated etc

But do try to make an 11 IE.goalkeeper, full backs etc
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Re: Liverpool over and under rated 11s
      Reply #1: Aug 05, 2024 09:47:34 am
      Underrated 11

1) Bruce Grobbelaar

2) Rob Jones

3) Fabio Aurelio

4) Mark Lawerenson

5) Gary Gillespie

6) Jan Molby

7) Ian Callaghan

8  ) Emile Heskey

9) David Johnson

10) Terry McDermott

11) Peter Thompson
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #2: Aug 05, 2024 10:00:34 am
      Overrated

1) David James

2) Jon Flanagan

3) Christian Ziege

4) Mama Sakho

5) Martin Skrtel

6) Paul Stewart

7) El Hadji Diouf

8  ) Alberto Aquilani

9) Mario Balotelli

10) Mark Walters

11) Stewart Downing
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,552 posts | 3797 
      Reply #3: Aug 05, 2024 10:53:47 am
      Overrated

1) David James

2) Jon Flanagan

3) Christian Ziege

4) Mama Sakho

5) Martin Skrtel

6) Paul Stewart

7) El Hadji Diouf

8  ) Alberto Aquilani

9) Mario Balotelli

10) Mark Walters

11) Stewart Downing

I’ll be honest but I’m not sure how many people rated most of those players

The likes of Skrtel , Sakho and Flanagan did decent jobs

But I can’t recall too much hype for any of them
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,215 posts | 483 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #4: Aug 05, 2024 11:00:41 am
      Overrated

1) David James

2) Jon Flanagan

3) Christian Ziege

4) Mama Sakho

5) Martin Skrtel

6) Paul Stewart

7) El Hadji Diouf

8  ) Alberto Aquilani

9) Mario Balotelli

10) Mark Walters

11) Stewart Downing

Agger and Lucas should both be on this list as should Keane, Baros and Thiago.

The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,215 posts | 483 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #5: Aug 05, 2024 11:03:16 am
      Underrated 11

1) Bruce Grobbelaar

2) Rob Jones

3) Fabio Aurelio

4) Mark Lawerenson

5) Gary Gillespie

6) Jan Molby

7) Ian Callaghan

8  ) Emile Heskey

9) David Johnson

10) Terry McDermott

11) Peter Thompson

Jan Molby? Terry Mcdermott?

Babbel and Benayoun should both be on this list, as should Didi and Henchoz.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #6: Aug 05, 2024 11:47:41 am
      Jan Molby? Terry Mcdermott?

Babbel and Benayoun should both be on this list, as should Didi and Henchoz.

Both genius players who in my opinion get nowhere near enough credit for what they brought
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #7: Aug 05, 2024 12:09:44 pm
      I’ll be honest but I’m not sure how many people rated most of those players

The likes of Skrtel , Sakho and Flanagan did decent jobs

But I can’t recall too much hype for any of them

James was seen as the biggest prospect in goalkeeping when we signed him, constantly in England teams, had some fine moments but ultimately cost us too often never lived up to the hype

Ziege came with a big rep, never lived up to it

More then a few thought skrtel and sakho were monster defenders

Aquilani......

Stewart again came with a good rep and I honestly dont recall him ever doing anything  decent fee at that time to if I recall

Downing and Walters prob a bit harsh but what they had done with previous clubs to what we got was worlds apart

Diouf was to fire us to the title he was that good!!!

And Balotelli he came with a monster rep, yes known issues but his ability and what hed bring to us with it.......disaster
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2024 12:16:31 pm by Brian78 »
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,215 posts | 483 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #8: Aug 05, 2024 12:10:38 pm
      Both genius players who in my opinion get nowhere near enough credit for what they brought

Molby especially at the time was definitely widely regarded as one of the most gifted players in this country.

Maybe you feel this way because he isn't spoken about so much in this day and age like the Souness's, Stevie's and Digger's of this world.

On the whole it's a little difficult to access as this generation came before fans started overusing the terms "overrated" or "overhyped" and even now it's meaning is different.

There are various metrics to judge whether a player is overrated, do you base it on their reputation? at the time they were signed? the number of appearances, do players who performed 5/10 for 9 out of 10 years (Lucas) take priority over someone like Aquilani who was injured for 95% of the 1 season he was here.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #9: Aug 05, 2024 12:21:37 pm
      Molby especially at the time was definitely widely regarded as one of the most gifted players in this country.

Maybe you feel this way because he isn't spoken about so much in this day and age like the Souness's, Stevie's and Digger's of this world.

On the whole it's a little difficult to access as this generation came before fans started overusing the terms "overrated" or "overhyped" and even now it's meaning is different.

There are various metrics to judge whether a player is overrated, do you base it on their reputation? at the time they were signed? the number of appearances, do players who performed 5/10 for 9 out of 10 years (Lucas) take priority over someone like Aquilani who was injured for 95% of the 1 season he was here.

You hold a conversation about best 11s or best midfielders ever for LFC, Stevie and Souness are a given. After that youll have people mention a Gini or a Hendo more then youll hear Molby or Terry mac. Maybe thats an age thing. But no matter what the reasons I think these 2 are underrated both as individuals and for what they brought to the club as part of a team

Just to support my case Terry mac only came somewhere in the 40s in the 100 players that shook the kop, look at some names ahead of him and tell me hes not underrated
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2024 12:31:37 pm by Brian78 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,552 posts | 3797 
      Reply #10: Aug 05, 2024 01:10:21 pm
      James was seen as the biggest prospect in goalkeeping when we signed him, constantly in England teams, had some fine moments but ultimately cost us too often never lived up to the hype

Ziege came with a big rep, never lived up to it

More then a few thought skrtel and sakho were monster defenders

Aquilani......

Stewart again came with a good rep and I honestly dont recall him ever doing anything  decent fee at that time to if I recall

Downing and Walters prob a bit harsh but what they had done with previous clubs to what we got was worlds apart

Diouf was to fire us to the title he was that good!!!

And Balotelli he came with a monster rep, yes known issues but his ability and what hed bring to us with it.......disaster

Can’t remember anything like that being talked about any of them

Balotelli - he rep disappeared way before he arrived

James - was a solid gk but again can’t recall too much hype

bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,311 posts | 298 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #11: Aug 05, 2024 01:12:02 pm
      I remember being super excited when we signed Morientes. Didn’t quite work out as planned and could go in the overrated list.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,164 posts | 583 
      Reply #12: Aug 05, 2024 01:31:06 pm
      Loris Karius was overrated in the sense that he made it into our first team ;D.

There were quite a few people who wanted us to give him another season as well!

Alberto Moreno was overrated in that Jürgen picked him ahead of Robbo for half a season.

Obviously I'm picking on quite easy targets there. Good players who were overrated is harder to say. Thiago would be one.

Ox and Keita certainly weren't worth what we thought they were when we bought them but maybe weren't actually overrated by fans.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | 125 
      Reply #13: Aug 05, 2024 04:08:36 pm
      For me, Molby was a better player than Gerrard - both were ridiculously talented players but I haven't seen anyone pass the ball as well as Molby could wearing a red shirt since then. I think Gerrard played in a much weaker team than Molby did and obviously he was a local boy etc but as footballers Molby for me just about edges it.

In terms of overrated players, Mark Wright and Dean Saunders? Both came with big reputations and were record transfers at the time. Collymore possibly as well?
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,164 posts | 583 
      Reply #14: Aug 05, 2024 04:31:28 pm
      For me, Molby was a better player than Gerrard - both were ridiculously talented players but I haven't seen anyone pass the ball as well as Molby could wearing a red shirt since then. I think Gerrard played in a much weaker team than Molby did and obviously he was a local boy etc but as footballers Molby for me just about edges it.

In terms of overrated players, Mark Wright and Dean Saunders? Both came with big reputations and were record transfers at the time. Collymore possibly as well?

Yeah Molby is my favourite passer of a ball ever. Those defense splitters along the ground with a bit of check spin so they held up nicely for the striker once they'd got behind the defence. He hit them with his instep as well. Unbelievable.

Gerrard is the better all round player cos of his engine, drive, tackling etc. Molby didn't really bother with any of that, just strolled about the midfield with opponents bouncing off him. For pure passing he's the best though I think. His shooting wasn't too shabby either.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,126 posts | 203 
      Reply #15: Aug 05, 2024 04:44:19 pm
      Molby was sublime. The Scouse Dane, totally lovable...
      Kurt Cocaine
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,126 posts | 203 
      Reply #16: Aug 05, 2024 04:46:37 pm
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,552 posts | 3797 
      Reply #17: Aug 05, 2024 05:33:37 pm
      Molby was great with the ball and a superb passer but Gerrard is streets ahead
      Kurt Cocaine
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,126 posts | 203 
      Reply #18: Aug 05, 2024 06:24:35 pm
      Yep, two totally different players. Gerrard was a true force of nature....
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,422 posts | 1288 
      Reply #19: Aug 05, 2024 08:00:27 pm
      Overrated

1) David James

2) Jon Flanagan

3) Christian Ziege

4) Mama Sakho

5) Martin Skrtel

6) Paul Stewart

7) El Hadji Diouf

8  ) Alberto Aquilani

9) Mario Balotelli

10) Mark Walters

11) Stewart Downing

Think the word you're looking for here mate is not 'overrated' but 'sh*t'
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,422 posts | 1288 
      Reply #20: Aug 05, 2024 08:01:33 pm

Not having that. Gerrard was miles better; the complete package as a midfielder. Absolutely no comparison. You can compare Molby with Xabi maybe. Argue that one
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #21: Aug 05, 2024 08:22:50 pm
      Think the word you're looking for here mate is not 'overrated' but 'sh*t'

sh*t would be Koncheskey and the like who should never have been nesr the place
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,809 posts | 1566 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #22: Aug 05, 2024 08:37:16 pm
      I feel like Lucas Leiva could get in both teams  :lmao:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,514 posts | 3506 
      Reply #23: Aug 05, 2024 09:08:29 pm
      Overrated

Dudek - yeah he was the keeper in Istanbul but that doesn't gloss over a bang average Liverpool career, yet people talk him up much higher.

Johnson - see corballyred if you need evidence.

Carragher - mainly by himself if anything but despite me loving him as a player, he wasn't as good as he thinks he was. Doesn't make him a bad player either though. Over 700 games for the club proves he had some ability.

Van Dijk - top quality player but to hear some say he's the greatest centre half we've ever had is so far off the mark it's un F***ing real.

Riise - had a decent shot on him but beyond that he was F***ing useless. I'd outrun him in a race, had no strength and basically got away with being average due to our other left backs/left midfielders during that time not exactly being great either.

Henderson - I've always stated that I loved Hendo but as a player he was average at best for most of his Liverpool career. Great captain but average player.

Fabinho - was a toss up between a number of South American holding midfielders but decided to go with Fab because some were claiming he was the best in the world at times and he wasn't. He wasn't even a great defensive midfielder in my opinion but there you go.

Can - quite simply, one of the laziest players I've seen in a Liverpool shirt. At one point some were putting him on a par with Gerrard. Nah la, Emre isn't fit to lace Stevie's boots. Shockingly overrated.

Garcia - one of the most frustrating players I've seen in a Liverpool shirt. A bit like Dudek, gets away with it because of his performances in the 2005 European Cup run. Some great goals during the knockout games but his Liverpool career on the whole doesn't have many other highlights.

Crouch - a bit like Carra, probably more overrated by himself than anybody else. Talks about himself as some sort of Liverpool legend and unfortunately the big man wasn't. A decent player to have in the squad who could produce some magical moments but was also not as good that maybe we tend to remember.

Nunez - Darwin, not Antonio. We all love Darwin's work ethic and the problems he causes other teams but a forward will always be judged on his goals and Darwin doesn't get enough - but Liverpool fans don't like to slag him off because too many from the outside do that for us (and I'm as guilty as anyone for that).

Underrated

Reina - for me he is easily the best keeper I've seen in a Liverpool shirt. Three consecutive golden gloves when up against Cech at his best is no mean feat. Cech gets talked about in the same breath Schmeichel but nobody even puts Pepe up there.

Babbel - probably the hardest pick for me because the right back of any side tends to be one of my favourite players so I think they're all underrated. I was tempted with Finnan, Jones and Heggem but ended up going for Babbel because of the horrific injury that stopped his Liverpool career from being talked about as a legendary one.

Henchoz - one of the most consistent performers we had and alongside Sami was as good a pairing as any of the all-time Premier League "greats" but they're never talked about.

Hyypia - basically the same as Steph above. And for me Sami is the best centre half we've had in the Premier League and is easily in the conversation for the best centre half in the Premier League for any club. Just immense for most, if not all, of his Liverpool career.

Robertson - difficult one this because we've never been blessed with great left backs in my lifetime so I don't think many (if any) are underrated as I don't rate them that highly meself. But I will say Robbo is underrated because other left backs in the League's history only had to sneeze for the media to claim they're the best left back in the world but Robbo never seems to get that adulation despite his records. Thankfully I think most Liverpool fans understand how good he's been.

Redknapp - this is probably a totally biased choice because as a kid I based me own game on Jamie's as the centre mid who sprayed it around. He was as good a passer I'd seen for Liverpool until Gerrard turned up, had an eye for a screamer and I always felt he gave his all. I know people don't like him much these days due to his punditry but as a player, for me, he was underrated

Hamann - people used to talk about the "Makelele" role but Didi was doing it years before Chelsea bought the Frenchman and was doing it even better. But for whatever reason, Didi never gets any credit for just how F***ing good he was for his Liverpool career. He wasn't just boss in Istanbul, he was boss for the seven years he was here.

Gravenberch - I've always defended him on here, there's just something I really like about him while others seem really keen to write him off as early as possible. I think others will say the same about a few of his current team-mates that I would argue with though so I understand why people don't hold Grav as highly as I do.

Fowler - yeah I've done it again and put God in one of my Liverpool sides. Greatest finisher the League has seen but is never talked about in the way others are because the injuries cut his prime short. A fully fit Fowler would have broken every record going.

Collymore - for the two years he was here, he and Robbie were almost unplayable. Such a good pairing. No wonder their record as a pairing took something special from Sturridge (who I also could have chosen) and Suarez to break. He's not somebody who is ever gonna make any Liverpool great XI's but for an underrated team, yeah I think Stan deserves a mention. Bit of a c**t away from the game and his "calm down calm down" antics to the away fans when he got sent off against us at Villa Park makes him unfavourable as a person but as I said, he and Fowler together in the mid 90s were something to enjoy.

Owen - I know Liverpool fans don't like to talk about him fondly these days because of what he done after he left club as well as what a tit he is as a pundit but he was so F***ing good in a Liverpool shirt. Nobody could stop him. Like Robbie, if he stayed fit then records would have tumbled for him.

Over to you lot to dissect the two teams and tell me I'm wrong but we all know I'm right really.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,884 posts | 3001 
      Reply #24: Aug 05, 2024 09:15:50 pm
      Overrated

1) David James

2) Jon Flanagan

3) Christian Ziege

4) Mama Sakho

5) Martin Skrtel

6) Paul Stewart

7) El Hadji Diouf

8  ) Alberto Aquilani

9) Mario Balotelli

10) Mark Walters

11) Stewart Downing

Majority here are just sh*te players that were never rated by the vast majority of our supporters.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,836 posts | 2255 
      Reply #25: Aug 07, 2024 08:52:45 pm
      I remember being super excited when we signed Morientes. Didn’t quite work out as planned and could go in the overrated list.

Same here mate, he was amassive dissapointment. It was evidently between him and Anelka at the time. Sould have gone for Anelka, he was the one that got away for me. He might have saved Houllier's job if we had signed him after an excellent loan spell in 2002.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,311 posts | 298 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #26: Aug 08, 2024 01:53:10 pm
      Same here mate, he was amassive dissapointment. It was evidently between him and Anelka at the time. Sould have gone for Anelka, he was the one that got away for me. He might have saved Houllier's job if we had signed him after an excellent loan spell in 2002.

Anelka was quality mate, I agree!
      Houllier choosing Diouf instead of buying Anelka was his downfall.

Diouf can go on the sh*t and F**k off to a hole list!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,203 posts | 267 
      Reply #27: Aug 08, 2024 02:06:24 pm
      Overrated

1) David James

2) Jon Flanagan

3) Christian Ziege

4) Mama Sakho

5) Martin Skrtel

6) Paul Stewart

7) El Hadji Diouf

8  ) Alberto Aquilani

9) Mario Balotelli

10) Mark Walters

11) Stewart Downing

I can be wrong but can't see Skrtel an overrated as I can't remember he was come with such a high expectation.

Of the list above it's Stewart Downing an absolute overrated for me.

Diouf and Balotelli, don't mention them the better.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,164 posts | 583 
      Reply #28: Aug 08, 2024 09:19:34 pm
      Overrated

Dudek - yeah he was the keeper in Istanbul but that doesn't gloss over a bang average Liverpool career, yet people talk him up much higher.

Carragher - mainly by himself if anything but despite me loving him as a player, he wasn't as good as he thinks he was. Doesn't make him a bad player either though. Over 700 games for the club proves he had some ability.

Van Dijk - top quality player but to hear some say he's the greatest centre half we've ever had is so far off the mark it's un F***ing real.

Riise - had a decent shot on him but beyond that he was F***ing useless. I'd outrun him in a race, had no strength and basically got away with being average due to our other left backs/left midfielders during that time not exactly being great either.

Henderson - I've always stated that I loved Hendo but as a player he was average at best for most of his Liverpool career. Great captain but average player.

Fabinho - was a toss up between a number of South American holding midfielders but decided to go with Fab because some were claiming he was the best in the world at times and he wasn't. He wasn't even a great defensive midfielder in my opinion but there you go.

Can - quite simply, one of the laziest players I've seen in a Liverpool shirt. At one point some were putting him on a par with Gerrard. Nah la, Emre isn't fit to lace Stevie's boots. Shockingly overrated.

Garcia - one of the most frustrating players I've seen in a Liverpool shirt. A bit like Dudek, gets away with it because of his performances in the 2005 European Cup run. Some great goals during the knockout games but his Liverpool career on the whole doesn't have many other highlights.

Crouch - a bit like Carra, probably more overrated by himself than anybody else. Talks about himself as some sort of Liverpool legend and unfortunately the big man wasn't. A decent player to have in the squad who could produce some magical moments but was also not as good that maybe we tend to remember.

Nunez - Darwin, not Antonio. We all love Darwin's work ethic and the problems he causes other teams but a forward will always be judged on his goals and Darwin doesn't get enough - but Liverpool fans don't like to slag him off because too many from the outside do that for us (and I'm as guilty as anyone for that).

Underrated

Reina - for me he is easily the best keeper I've seen in a Liverpool shirt. Three consecutive golden gloves when up against Cech at his best is no mean feat. Cech gets talked about in the same breath Schmeichel but nobody even puts Pepe up there.

Babbel - probably the hardest pick for me because the right back of any side tends to be one of my favourite players so I think they're all underrated. I was tempted with Finnan, Jones and Heggem but ended up going for Babbel because of the horrific injury that stopped his Liverpool career from being talked about as a legendary one.

Henchoz - one of the most consistent performers we had and alongside Sami was as good a pairing as any of the all-time Premier League "greats" but they're never talked about.

Hyypia - basically the same as Steph above. And for me Sami is the best centre half we've had in the Premier League and is easily in the conversation for the best centre half in the Premier League for any club. Just immense for most, if not all, of his Liverpool career.

Robertson - difficult one this because we've never been blessed with great left backs in my lifetime so I don't think many (if any) are underrated as I don't rate them that highly meself. But I will say Robbo is underrated because other left backs in the League's history only had to sneeze for the media to claim they're the best left back in the world but Robbo never seems to get that adulation despite his records. Thankfully I think most Liverpool fans understand how good he's been.

Redknapp - this is probably a totally biased choice because as a kid I based me own game on Jamie's as the centre mid who sprayed it around. He was as good a passer I'd seen for Liverpool until Gerrard turned up, had an eye for a screamer and I always felt he gave his all. I know people don't like him much these days due to his punditry but as a player, for me, he was underrated

Hamann - people used to talk about the "Makelele" role but Didi was doing it years before Chelsea bought the Frenchman and was doing it even better. But for whatever reason, Didi never gets any credit for just how F***ing good he was for his Liverpool career. He wasn't just boss in Istanbul, he was boss for the seven years he was here.

Gravenberch - I've always defended him on here, there's just something I really like about him while others seem really keen to write him off as early as possible. I think others will say the same about a few of his current team-mates that I would argue with though so I understand why people don't hold Grav as highly as I do.

Fowler - yeah I've done it again and put God in one of my Liverpool sides. Greatest finisher the League has seen but is never talked about in the way others are because the injuries cut his prime short. A fully fit Fowler would have broken every record going.

Collymore - for the two years he was here, he and Robbie were almost unplayable. Such a good pairing. No wonder their record as a pairing took something special from Sturridge (who I also could have chosen) and Suarez to break. He's not somebody who is ever gonna make any Liverpool great XI's but for an underrated team, yeah I think Stan deserves a mention. Bit of a c**t away from the game and his "calm down calm down" antics to the away fans when he got sent off against us at Villa Park makes him unfavourable as a person but as I said, he and Fowler together in the mid 90s were something to enjoy.

Owen - I know Liverpool fans don't like to talk about him fondly these days because of what he done after he left club as well as what a tit he is as a pundit but he was so F***ing good in a Liverpool shirt. Nobody could stop him. Like Robbie, if he stayed fit then records would have tumbled for him.

Over to you lot to dissect the two teams and tell me I'm wrong but we all know I'm right really.

Well you've met the brief with this post. Lot of good players in your "overrrated" list but yeah some definitely overrated. Agree with you on Carra, Garcia n Crouch. Was Can that highly rated for us? Likewise Hendo - was underrated for about his first 5 years if anything. Fabinho is a  tricky one. I think he was world class, but only for about 2 years. He fell of a cliff in his last couple of seasons. Virgil is a controversial one. He's one of of our best ever CBs. But yeah some have said the best CB in history full stop, which is over-egging it a bit. (Best I've seen I think is probably Thuram. [Hansen our best.])
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8979 
      Reply #29: Aug 09, 2024 08:28:23 pm
      My personal fave for that overrated would be the biggest shitbag to ever pull on our shirt - Paul Ince.

Even Garcia saw out a derby on one leg unlike the guvnor who cried and fu**ed off the pitch injured in the 99 Cup defeat by utd at Old Trafford.

And Evans called him the final piece in the jigsaw ffs
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2024 11:44:31 am by HUYTON RED »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,291 posts | 7311 
      Reply #30: Aug 09, 2024 09:04:42 pm
      Always had a problem with Carragher his passing was woeful and had no speed but he was heroic in Istanbul. Phil Neal never gets much of a mention but look at how many games he played and what he won should be up there with the very best
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,315 posts | 2218 
      Reply #31: Aug 10, 2024 12:09:18 am
      Overrated

Underrated

Well I don't quite agree with your overrated team (I reckon that team is a sprinkle of star dust ie Gerrard or Suarez from winning a good few trophies!) but it's a fantastic list.

And I 110% agree with you on Owen. I will never stop putting him above the likes of Torres or Suarez simply given the fact that he won trophies almost single handedly with us. As you note - simply unstoppable at times and his goals compilation on youtube really makes you appreciate the sheer brilliance of his finishing. He was a winner and he won for us.

I have to think more about my lists but one man definitely going on the overrated list is Fernando Torres. In comparison to Owen, a trophyless nomark who got injured at crucial moments for us. Scored worldie goals and was at his peak one of the very best strikers in the world. But he ultimately didn't provide the trophies we so desperately wanted and needed.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8979 
      Reply #32: Aug 10, 2024 11:49:23 am
      Some outlandish sh*t being written in this thread.

Owen wishes he was born with half the talent Suarez has. Also not Suarez"s fault his manager was a joke, the captain was nearly finished, the Goalie and defence were sh*te and the midfield included the Welsh Xavi. :lmao:

Suarez literally carried that team on his back in 2014.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,514 posts | 3506 
      Reply #33: Aug 10, 2024 12:48:55 pm
      Well I don't quite agree with your overrated team (I reckon that team is a sprinkle of star dust ie Gerrard or Suarez from winning a good few trophies!) but it's a fantastic list.

And I 110% agree with you on Owen. I will never stop putting him above the likes of Torres or Suarez simply given the fact that he won trophies almost single handedly with us. As you note - simply unstoppable at times and his goals compilation on youtube really makes you appreciate the sheer brilliance of his finishing. He was a winner and he won for us.

I have to think more about my lists but one man definitely going on the overrated list is Fernando Torres. In comparison to Owen, a trophyless nomark who got injured at crucial moments for us. Scored worldie goals and was at his peak one of the very best strikers in the world. But he ultimately didn't provide the trophies we so desperately wanted and needed.

Don't think I could ever say Torres was overrated mate. He was the best centre forward in the world for a couple of years when he was here. Like a few at that time, his Liverpool career took a nosedive after we just missed out on the League in 09. But I don't think many Liverpool fans put Torres much higher on the all-time great lists than where he should be.

I also think it's unfair to judge a player on trophies. Some of the greatest names in our history like Liddell, Paisley, Balmer, Lambert and many others who won the League title in 47 only have that one medal to their name while Adrian has won everything the game has to offer - that reminds me of somebody else who probably should have been in my overrated team is Adam Lallana.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,930 posts | 5191 
      Reply #34: Aug 10, 2024 03:34:36 pm

Owen wishes he was born with half the talent Suarez has. Also not Suarez"s fault his manager was a joke, the captain was nearly finished, the Goalie and defence were sh*te and the midfield included the Welsh Xavi. :lmao:

An argument to be had that Suarez is the most gifted footballer every to play for us
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #35: Aug 10, 2024 04:09:59 pm
      An argument to be had that Suarez is the most gifted footballer every to play for us

Top 3 anyway
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,348 posts | 868 
      Reply #36: Aug 10, 2024 10:09:52 pm

Best player I’ve ever seen in a red shirt.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,552 posts | 3797 
      Reply #37: Aug 10, 2024 10:11:17 pm

Behind

Barnes
      Kenny
      Beardsley
      Robbie

For me
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,164 posts | 583 
      Reply #38: Aug 11, 2024 12:04:09 am
      Behind

Barnes
      Kenny
      Beardsley
      Robbie

For me

So ahead of Stevie?

And Souness, Hansen and Rush?

And Keegan? Ray Kennedy?

I do admit Suarez was a brilliant player right enough. If he'd been here a bit longer...

Also - to others - Torres was not overrated!!

Keegan could maybe go on our underrated list, just cos you never hear anybody mention him anymore for some reason (maybe just an age thing). Nobody ever mentions Steve McMahon either these days, so I'd put him on my underrated list.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,348 posts | 868 
      Reply #39: Aug 11, 2024 08:32:01 am
      So ahead of Stevie?

And Souness, Hansen and Rush?

And Keegan? Ray Kennedy?

I do admit Suarez was a brilliant player right enough. If he'd been here a bit longer...

Also - to others - Torres was not overrated!!

Keegan could maybe go on our underrated list, just cos you never hear anybody mention him anymore for some reason (maybe just an age thing). Nobody ever mentions Steve McMahon either these days, so I'd put him on my underrated list.

Suarez most gifted for sure.

To me Gerrard is the greatest I’ve seen in a red shirt

I can’t say about the players in the 80s or early 90s as I haven’t watched them play
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,164 posts | 583 
      Reply #40: Aug 11, 2024 09:34:51 pm

I can’t say about the players in the 80s or early 90s as I haven’t watched them play

Most gifted? Ah, yeah that would put Suarez up the list a bit right enough. Very few more gifted. Maybe Stevie, Barnes. My fav Molby. Not sure even Kenny was more gifted than Suarez, although he was a better player overall.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8979 
      Reply #41: Aug 13, 2024 03:28:38 pm

Dalglish or Barnes for me, Gerrard is good but not as good as them two.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,013 posts | 6616 
      Reply #42: Aug 13, 2024 08:30:43 pm

Hand on heart, I'd take a peak Torres over Suarez.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #43: Aug 13, 2024 11:30:54 pm

As a finisher maybe, as a pure raw baller, no way
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8979 
      Reply #44: Aug 14, 2024 01:55:49 pm

Hahaha then you never, ever saw them play for real.

Torres was a goal scorer with pace, once the knee was fu**ed and the pace gone, he was finished.

Suarez is an all round footballing machine. One of the very best footballers I've ever seen grace Anfield along with Dalglish and Barnes with what they could do with a ball.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #45: Aug 14, 2024 03:24:53 pm
      Steve McMahon, under rated??
      Kurt Cocaine
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,126 posts | 203 
      Reply #46: Aug 14, 2024 03:37:36 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,930 posts | 5191 
      Reply #47: Aug 14, 2024 03:44:13 pm

Definitely
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,930 posts | 5191 
      Reply #48: Aug 14, 2024 03:44:31 pm
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #49: Aug 14, 2024 03:47:09 pm

One of my favourite goals, purely for Maccas work
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,514 posts | 3506 
      Reply #50: Aug 14, 2024 06:01:44 pm
      I'm throwing Danny Murphy into the overrated squad now for the same reasons as I put Carra and Crouch. He really thinks of himself far too highly for somebody who wasn't much cop if we're being honest, the odd goal at Old Trafford aside.

And I'm sticking Stig Inge Bjornebye in the underrated just because I F***ing loved him. He probably isn't underrated in fairness, he's probably viewed by most as what he was - a decent, solid left back but not much more than that. But I loved Stig. He's the first player I instantly think of when I see that old cream kit we had in the 90s.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,930 posts | 5191 
      Reply #51: Aug 14, 2024 06:07:17 pm
      I'm throwing Danny Murphy into the overrated squad now for the same reasons as I put Carra and Crouch. He really thinks of himself far too highly for somebody who wasn't much cop if we're being honest, the odd goal at Old Trafford aside.

And I'm sticking Stig Inge Bjornebye in the underrated just because I F***ing loved him. He probably isn't underrated in fairness, he's probably viewed by most as what he was - a decent, solid left back but not much more than that. But I loved Stig. He's the first player I instantly think of when I see that old cream kit we had in the 90s.

With you ok both counts. I'd have Murphy there purely on his sh*te punditry alone.

And Stig was a favourite of mine as well as a teenager.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,348 posts | 868 
      Reply #52: Aug 14, 2024 06:17:08 pm

Danny Murphy was a cult hero just for the winners against the Mancs. other than that yes he was a pretty average footballer, no wonder Rafa sold him when he became the manager.

Riise better than Bjornebye no?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,930 posts | 5191 
      Reply #53: Aug 14, 2024 06:18:39 pm
      Danny Murphy was a cult hero just for the winners against the Mancs. other than that yes he was a pretty average footballer, no wonder Rafa sold him when he became the manager.

Not in a million years.

Stig far better player for me.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,348 posts | 868 
      Reply #54: Aug 14, 2024 06:20:11 pm
      Not in a million years.

I only saw Stig end of his career at Liverpool. I've seen Riise more.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,514 posts | 3506 
      Reply #55: Aug 14, 2024 06:20:46 pm

I preferred Stig to Riise, in fact I had Riise in my overrated 11. Like Murphy, a few goals against United don't hide the fact that Riise was average for most of his Liverpool career.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,126 posts | 203 
      Reply #56: Aug 14, 2024 07:45:36 pm
      John Arne Riise: a man who would rather score an own goal, that attempt to swing his right leg at an incoming ball....

https://youtu.be/Y_AH7U80a9A?si=SV_hOENnL36-eC0w

MOTD was made for players like Riise. Some great goals with that left peg, but the rest of his play? Nah...
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,422 posts | 1288 
      Reply #57: Aug 14, 2024 08:00:02 pm
      Steve Finnan. Maybe more understated than underrated. Steady eddy personified. I honestly don't know what he does now -- gardener?

Naby Keita would go straight into my overrated team. Came absolutely nowhere near living up to his reputation as one of the Bundesliga's leading lights, partly through injury, partly also because in my opinion he just didn't meet the challenge required despite being blessed with natural ability.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,348 posts | 868 
      Reply #58: Aug 14, 2024 08:14:20 pm
      Steve Finnan. Maybe more understated than underrated. Steady eddy personified. I honestly don't know what he does now -- gardener?

Naby Keita would go straight into my overrated team. Came absolutely nowhere near living up to his reputation as one of the Bundesliga's leading lights, partly through injury, partly also because in my opinion he just didn't meet the challenge required despite being blessed with natural ability.

Finnan was definitely underrated compared the sh*te RBs we had at our disposal back then (remember Jan Kromkamp????), we never properly replaced Finnan until Trent showed up.

He was Mr. Solid.

Naby Keita flopped, was not suited to the the PL and didn't even try to learn the language, no wonder Klopp didn't rate him later.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8979 
      Reply #59: Aug 14, 2024 11:15:49 pm
      Not in a million years.

Both were not "great" full backs.

But had their moments!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,315 posts | 2218 
      Reply #60: Aug 14, 2024 11:23:54 pm

Not saying Owen was better than Suarez. He is the finest, most gifted player to have ever played for Liverpool. It's just that at the end of the day Owen won us the trophies on the day. He supercharged Houllier's side like nothing else. Suarez could have done what Owen did and 10 times more in terms of the greatness ranks if he had chosen to stay with us. But he didn't. So F**k him.

;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8979 
      Reply #61: Aug 15, 2024 04:09:13 pm
      Not saying Owen was better than Suarez. He is the finest, most gifted player to have ever played for Liverpool. It's just that at the end of the day Owen won us the trophies on the day. He supercharged Houllier's side like nothing else. Suarez could have done what Owen did and 10 times more in terms of the greatness ranks if he had chosen to stay with us. But he didn't. So F**k him.

;D

"F**k off Suarez, F**k off Suarez"

That's what we sung in the kop that night lid ;)

F**k Owen too the way he fu**ed off to Madrid.

If we're talking goalscorers that won trophies then no one is touching Rushy.

The Orginal and the best!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,348 posts | 868 
      Reply #62: Aug 15, 2024 05:38:57 pm
      "F**k off Suarez, F**k off Suarez"

That's what we sung in the kop that night lid ;)

F**k Owen too the way he fu**ed off to Madrid.

If we're talking goalscorers that won trophies then no one is touching Rushy.

The Orginal and the best!

Mo Salah is getting there, I think he should be considered one of our best players ever. At least to me greater than Suarez, Owen and Torres.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      Reply #63: Aug 16, 2024 11:47:20 am
      Mo Salah is getting there, I think he should be considered one of our best players ever. At least to me greater than Suarez, Owen and Torres.

I think he will, if hes not already
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8979 
      Reply #64: Aug 16, 2024 08:20:38 pm

Will be easily due to his goals and being part of the team that won the league

Probably end within our top 3 record goalscorers

Quick Reply