Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

Giorgi Mamardashvili (Valencia)

Read 5531 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,035 posts | 6624 
      Re: Giorgi Mamardashvili (Valencia)
      Reply #138: Aug 27, 2024 02:47:47 pm
      I feel like that's pretty concrete evidence. Don't get too comfy in that top though lad.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,595 posts | 1728 
      Reply #139: Aug 27, 2024 02:48:40 pm
      This guy is more the GK along the likes of Oblak - big tall domineering GK , outstanding shot stopper and when coming to crosses

But maybe a bit more safer with the feet

All the reports I read state kicking as a weakness and although he has improved it still.needs improving
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #140: Aug 27, 2024 03:07:28 pm
      Yea that is the main difference really.

Someone who's comfortable playing out from the back or someone who's first instinct is to boot it upfield a la Pickford.
      This so-called difference is exaggerated; I can remember back in the day all keepers wellied it as far up the pitch as possible, but as outfield football has evolved, fitter, faster and perhaps even more technical, so has goalkeeping. Nearly all keepers these days play out from the back (even Pickford when playing with a better back four with England)  Like with everything else, there are some keepers that are better than others for a whole raft of reasons. The better teams will have the stronger keepers, but there aren't any bad keepers in the topflight....bad keepers don't get to stay around very long.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #141: Aug 27, 2024 03:15:51 pm
      This so-called difference is exaggerated; I can remember back in the day all keepers wellied it as far up the pitch as possible, but as outfield football has evolved, fitter, faster and perhaps even more technical, so has goalkeeping. Nearly all keepers these days play out from the back (even Pickford when playing with a better back four with England)  Like with everything else, there are some keepers that are better than others for a whole raft of reasons. The better teams will have the stronger keepers, but there aren't any bad keepers in the topflight....bad keepers don't get to stay around very long.

Definitely agree that all keepers these days are better with the ball than previous decades but can't agree on Pickford mate.

He launched almost every ball played back to him as far as he could during the Euros
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,035 posts | 6624 
      Reply #142: Aug 27, 2024 03:18:58 pm

There are literally bad keepers all over the place in top flight football. I can't even believe you typed that with actual non-sarcastic intent.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #143: Aug 27, 2024 03:31:26 pm
      There are literally bad keepers all over the place in top flight football. I can't even believe you typed that with actual non-sarcastic intent.
      Bad...one of those words the definition of which is totally open to interpretation......Out of interest...Who in the topflight, Premier league say, do you consider a bad keeper?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,035 posts | 6624 
      Reply #144: Aug 27, 2024 03:45:01 pm
      Bad...one of those words the definition of which is totally open to interpretation......Out of interest...Who in the topflight, Premier league say, do you consider a bad keeper?

Pickford, that was too easy.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,558 posts | 4612 
      Reply #145: Aug 27, 2024 04:40:39 pm
      When does he become #1 ā€¦?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #146: Aug 27, 2024 04:46:06 pm

When Alisson leaves
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,558 posts | 4612 
      Reply #147: Aug 27, 2024 04:55:31 pm

Next summer or after..?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #148: Aug 27, 2024 05:31:47 pm

I think he will be onloan for two seasons

One in  Valencia and then next season in the Prem then look at the situation and what Alissonā€™s plans are
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,035 posts | 6624 
      Reply #149: Aug 27, 2024 05:39:23 pm

Sure as hell hope not. Didn't Ali just say he's committed to Liverpool for the long haul? Believe his contract is up in 27....could see him wanting to stay beyond. That's why this one seems odd unless we are going to push him out.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #150: Aug 27, 2024 05:49:21 pm
      I'll give you that one even if it was totally predictable. I still hold my view; bad goalkeeper's don't keep their jobs, just like bad lifesavers at the beach or pool....marksmen in the military...chefs in a top hotel....etc etc. They have to be good at it or they're quickly replaced.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #151: Aug 27, 2024 05:56:44 pm
      I'll give you that one even if it was totally predictable. I still hold my view; bad goalkeeper's don't keep their jobs, just like bad lifesavers at the beach or pool....marksmen in the military...chefs in a top hotel....etc etc. They have to be good at it or they're quickly replaced.

Pickford isnā€™t a ā€œbadā€ keeper

You donā€™t play just under 300 games in the Prem and 70 international games by being a bad keeper

Bad keepers donā€™t keep their jobs long
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #152: Aug 27, 2024 06:03:01 pm
      Pickford isnā€™t a ā€œbadā€ keeper

You donā€™t play just under 300 games in the Prem and 70 international games by being a bad keeper

Bad keepers donā€™t keep their jobs long
      Playful banter with regards to Pickford...hence my point about bad lifesavers etc....No club would play a bad goalkeeper.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,988 posts | 295 
      Reply #153: Aug 27, 2024 06:29:53 pm
      This guy looks like a giant. Wonder whether thatā€™s why this seems to be taking so long. Canā€™t fit him in the CT scanner, or Hughes canā€™t find his quill.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #154: Aug 27, 2024 06:33:23 pm
      Pickford is sh*t.

Not even top 10 in the Prem, a top keeper doesn't make the kind of blunders he does and he does it repeatedly.
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2024 06:39:44 pm by The-AllMightyReds »
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #155: Aug 27, 2024 07:23:02 pm
      Pickford is sh*t.

Not even top 10 in the Prem, a top keeper doesn't make the kind of blunders he does and he does it repeatedly.
      He's not fantastic I'll grant you that but he's plainly not sh*t....Don't recall him being sh*t the last time we went to Goodison Park.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,425 posts | 1288 
      Reply #156: Aug 27, 2024 07:27:50 pm
      Very excited to see him play in 2026.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #157: Aug 27, 2024 07:31:19 pm
      He's not fantastic I'll grant you that but he's plainly not sh*t....Don't recall him being sh*t the last time we went to Goodison Park.

Our terrible finishing made him look half decent, I still remember Alex F***ing Mccarthy having a stormer and making about 15 saves against us once.....might've been the same season where it felt like every keeper we faced was their MOTM on the night.

The guy is a walking disaster between the nets. He's all about camera saves, where for top keepers they're just standard saves.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,038 posts | 70 
      Reply #158: Aug 27, 2024 07:55:01 pm
      Our terrible finishing made him look half decent, I still remember Alex F***ing Mccarthy having a stormer and making about 15 saves against us once.....might've been the same season where it felt like every keeper we faced was their MOTM on the night.

The guy is a walking disaster between the nets. He's all about camera saves, where for top keepers they're just standard saves.

We stuck 7 past Alison when he was at Roma and we still bought him.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #159: Aug 27, 2024 07:59:42 pm
      We stuck 7 past Alison when he was at Roma and we still bought him.

It's almost as if judging a player on 1 game is moot.

Watched Pickford year after year and he seems to make more and more stupid mistakes - one of the most error prone keepers in the league, won't ever eradicate them because he acts like a child.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #160: Aug 27, 2024 08:13:30 pm
      It's almost as if judging a player on 1 game is moot.

Watched Pickford year after year and he seems to make more and more stupid mistakes - one of the most error prone keepers in the league, won't ever eradicate them because he acts like a child.
      It's quite simply impossible to be England's No.1 keeper for the length of time he's been there and be as bad as you say. ALL goalkeepers make mistakes.

Quick Reply