Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

Federico Chiesa Player Thread (F)

Read 3452 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,936 posts | 708 
      Re: Federico Chiesa Player Thread (F)
      Reply #69: Aug 30, 2024 09:51:53 am
      Quote from Longy-Shops
      A cautionary Tale: By way of an analogy.

Let's say we were in the market for a centre back, represented here as a heavy duty pick up truck...think Ford F150... We're also looking to strengthen with a defensive midfielder...say a Land Rover defender. But whilst we're going through the classifieds we see a low milage Porsche 911 cabriolet, (list price about 80 grand) offered at 15 grand. We don't need a soft top super car, as we already have a few of them in the garage, one of which is one of the best ever produced (Salah). No one else puts a bid in for this Porsche (Chiesa)....but we do...we say, at that price how can you go wrong? So we end up buying something we don't need because it's cheap....a bargain. There's a rule in retail; don't buy something because it's buy one get one free...IF you don't need the item.

I was brought up on the maxim...if something looks too cheap, then walk away, there'll be a reason a Ā£80k car is for sale at Ā£15K.
      No other club even sniffed at this guy....and that's a worry in my book.

I don't drive, so I can't understand what difference the cost of a car is supposed to indicate, but I'd rather pay 15m on someone who will make some contribution to this year's campaign, than pay 40m on someone who won't.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      • Does anyone ever listen to him?
      Reply #70: Aug 30, 2024 10:20:46 am
      Barcelona fans not happy that they haven't signed Fred.

They have players to offload after signing Dani Olmo.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #71: Aug 30, 2024 10:27:27 am
      Some of my favorite things are things I got great deals on, dirt cheap. Lasted forever too.  Guess your analogy falls apart there.
      Of course we all like to grab a bargain if available....but we're unlikely to buy a discounted sports car if we are in need of, and are shopping for, a truck......You're bright enough to have understood the point I was making.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #72: Aug 30, 2024 10:31:49 am
      Of course we all like to grab a bargain if available....but we're unlikely to buy a discounted sports car if we are in need of, and are shopping for, a truck......You're bright enough to have understood the point I was making.

If my family are happy enough to put off the 'truck shopping ' until the next suitable one becomes available as we have a couple of other quite new trucks already then all is good.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #73: Aug 30, 2024 10:33:12 am
      Guess an analogy with price of cars falls apart when cars donā€™t have ā€œcontractsā€ that are due to run out

Every single pundit to a tee appears to saying that we have got an absolute steal and a bargain on our hands

Itā€™s a player we got for a great price because of his situation - contract and relationship with the club/manager

If he had 3 years left then his price would be over Ā£60mil

Letā€™s applaud getting him for such a great deal instead I looking for fault with it using irrelevant comparisons
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #74: Aug 30, 2024 10:52:05 am
      I don't drive, so I can't understand what difference the cost of a car is supposed to indicate, but I'd rather pay 15m on someone who will make some contribution to this year's campaign, than pay 40m on someone who won't.
      I don't mean to insult....but you have failed to understand a simple analogy: The different types of car represent different types of footballers....for example let's say a goalkeeper is a big green tractor, and a centre forward is a bright red sports car....I'll presume (even though you don't drive) that you know there's difference between the vehicles...they are designed to do very different things....as are goalkeepers and centre forwards (and yes I know they are not designed!).......The price/cost of the vehicles in my analogy was introduced for the purpose of illustrating that a car/truck usually retailing for a high price is all of a sudden on offer at a barely believable discount.....I contend that most people would be cautious.

You can replace the automotive analogy with any number of variants.....if you saw a row of house's for sale at $600,000...but amongst them was a house for $20K I expect you would be a little cautious about buying it.
      Your example sadly doesn't make sense....obviously anyone would prefer a player who contributes over one who doesn't, regardless of fee. In your example who exactly is/was represented at 40m? and what indicates he would be more of a failure over the cheaper option?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #75: Aug 30, 2024 10:55:14 am
      If my family are happy enough to put off the 'truck shopping ' until the next suitable one becomes available as we have a couple of other quite new trucks already then all is good.
      Indeed....but would they buy a sports car in the interim...(especially as their drive/garage is littered with very good sports cars)......probably not
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #76: Aug 30, 2024 10:59:12 am
      Indeed....but would they buy a sports car in the interim...(especially as their drive/garage is littered with very good sports cars)......probably not

If their main Sunday sports car that the other sports cars didn't quite fit, then they may well make a purchase of the deal was a great one.

Means if that Sunday car was out of action they had a replacement.

They have the money this family and still have reserves for when the right truck comes available

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,522 posts | 3512 
      Reply #77: Aug 30, 2024 11:10:24 am
      Can we knock all this bollocks about cars on the head because we've bought Federico Chiesa, not a F***ing car.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,889 posts | 3004 
      Reply #78: Aug 30, 2024 11:14:33 am
      Barcelona fans not happy that they haven't signed Fred.

Bloody hell - he must have improved in his time at Fenerbahce!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      Reply #79: Aug 30, 2024 11:17:03 am
      Bloody hell - he must have improved in his time at Fenerbahce!

Fred. Freddy. Fede. Federico.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #80: Aug 30, 2024 11:19:15 am
      If their main Sunday sports car that the other sports cars didn't quite fit, then they may well make a purchase of the deal was a great one.

Means if that Sunday car was out of action they had a replacement.

They have the money this family and still have reserves for when the right truck comes available
      Hopefully my last attempt to use cars to make a very simple comparison. For your example to have worked; the don't quite fit bit represents Salah, Jota...Diaz...Nunez. There is no suggestion these players don't quite fit.....Soooo bored now let's move on!!!!
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #81: Aug 30, 2024 11:48:57 am
      Guess an analogy with price of cars falls apart when cars donā€™t have ā€œcontractsā€ that are due to run out

Every single pundit to a tee appears to saying that we have got an absolute steal and a bargain on our hands

Itā€™s a player we got for a great price because of his situation - contract and relationship with the club/manager

If he had 3 years left then his price would be over Ā£60mil

Letā€™s applaud getting him for such a great deal instead I looking for fault with it using irrelevant comparisons
      Actually cars that are leased do have contracts....let's not go there.....Listen, We as fans all want the player to do well regardless of the circumstances surrounding his transfer.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #82: Aug 30, 2024 12:05:19 pm

I like the analogy Longy and itā€™s a fair shout, however Chiesa isnā€™t a car heā€™s a human being and can be trained to work in a system suited to his strengths/specific skill set, a car is a inanimate object built for a specific purpose and prone to breaking down and falling apart,

Perhaps other suitors believed your analogy and decided that that Porsche wasnā€™t worth looking at ??

YNWA
      Good morning Billythered.....I'm glad you got the broader point.....You won't be surprised to know that I'm fully aware of the fact that biological, sentient human beings have evolved into a rational and imaginative species (except Donald Trump of course)...and that Federico Chiesa is undeniably a person and not a car.  You say "other suitors" may have decided to neglect the bargain Porsche....and I expect that is very likely....the question for me was always ..Why?....why ignore this obvious bargain?
      Have a great day Bud.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      Reply #83: Aug 30, 2024 12:06:12 pm
      A cautionary Tale: By way of an analogy.

Let's say we were in the market for a centre back, represented here as a heavy duty pick up truck...think Ford F150... We're also looking to strengthen with a defensive midfielder...say a Land Rover defender. But whilst we're going through the classifieds we see a low milage Porsche 911 cabriolet, (list price about 80 grand) offered at 15 grand. We don't need a soft top super car, as we already have a few of them in the garage, one of which is one of the best ever produced (Salah). No one else puts a bid in for this Porsche (Chiesa)....but we do...we say, at that price how can you go wrong? So we end up buying something we don't need because it's cheap....a bargain. There's a rule in retail; don't buy something because it's buy one get one free...IF you don't need the item.

I was brought up on the maxim...if something looks too cheap, then walk away, there'll be a reason a Ā£80k car is for sale at Ā£15K.
      No other club even sniffed at this guy....and that's a worry in my book.

There is another saying.
      "Don't buy something when you need it. Buy it when it's available."

Chiesa at that price is a no-brainer.
      Gives the team two top players for each position in the front 3.
      If he hits the heights of a few years ago he's a ready made replacement
      when Salah eventually leaves.

If Klopp had him last year then it lessens the impact when Salah got injured.
      Maybe it even prevents the Salah injury in the first place because Salah's minutes
      could be managed.

Signings like that could be the fine margins that win titles.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #84: Aug 30, 2024 12:08:22 pm
      Also worth noting that for most of the summer it looked like he was off the Barce - they wanted him but had the issue of the player registering

I suspect thatā€™s why no one else went for him

Guess it got to the stage where he had enough waiting for them and agent went out to clubs that had previously shown interest ( we did a while back )
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #85: Aug 30, 2024 12:12:13 pm
      There is another saying.
      "Don't buy something when you need it. Buy it when it's available."

Chiesa at that price is a no-brainer.
      Gives the team two top players for each position in the front 3.
      If he hits the heights of a few years ago he's a ready made replacement
      when Salah eventually leaves.

If Klopp had him last year then it lessens the impact when Salah got injured.
      Maybe it even prevents the Salah injury in the first place because Salah's minutes
      could be managed.

Signings like that could be the fine margins that win titles.
      I've honestly never heard that saying.....I hope this player is all you say and that he goes on to become an LFC legend...BTW I thought Salah was injured at the Africa cup of Nations...anyway there's no milage in hypotheticals...have a good day mate.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      Reply #86: Aug 30, 2024 12:14:24 pm
      I've honestly never heard that saying.....I hope this player is all you say and that he goes on to become an LFC legend...BTW I thought Salah was injured at the Africa cup of Nations...anyway there's no milage in hypotheticals...have a good day mate.

Don't wait until you need something before you buy it because then it might not be available.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #87: Aug 30, 2024 12:26:46 pm

Don't wait until you need something before you buy it because then it might not be available.
      It's a saying that relies on a great deal of context. In life our brains tell us we are hungry well before we are close to dying of starvation....if we left it until we absolutely needed food or perish..... we, or any other animal would likely have left it too late, and great numbers wouldn't survive.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,936 posts | 708 
      Reply #88: Aug 30, 2024 01:34:37 pm
      Quote from Longy-Shops
      I don't mean to insult....but you have failed to understand a simple analogy: The different types of car represent different types of footballers....for example let's say a goalkeeper is a big green tractor, and a centre forward is a bright red sports car....I'll presume (even though you don't drive) that you know there's difference between the vehicles...they are designed to do very different things....as are goalkeepers and centre forwards (and yes I know they are not designed!).......The price/cost of the vehicles in my analogy was introduced for the purpose of illustrating that a car/truck usually retailing for a high price is all of a sudden on offer at a barely believable discount.....I contend that most people would be cautious.

You can replace the automotive analogy with any number of variants.....if you saw a row of house's for sale at $600,000...but amongst them was a house for $20K I expect you would be a little cautious about buying it.
      Your example sadly doesn't make sense.

You've insulted me many times before, but not this one. A car is a car is a car to me.

Your valuations are ridiculous. Mbappe was valued at 300m last year, this year he went for nothing. Has he suddenly nosedived from Ballon d'Or candidate to crap in your eyes?

We did our due diligence on him, we were given an asking price and we agreed to pay it. 30 years ago, it would have been a world record fee. Would that have persuaded you?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,035 posts | 6624 
      Reply #89: Aug 30, 2024 01:53:35 pm
      It's a saying that relies on a great deal of context. In life our brains tell us we are hungry well before we are close to dying of starvation....if we left it until we absolutely needed food or perish..... we, or any other animal would likely have left it too late, and great numbers wouldn't survive.

Your whole analogy falls flat on the premise that LFC doesn't "need" another attacking player. But apparently they feel that they did. Someone to backup Salah and possibly play in the other forward positions when needed or as a regular. There is also the idea that he is a "nice to have"...so they weren't actively looking to pay top dollar but when a player they've admired is available for a seemingly cut rate...you go ahead and buy them because they can play a part and if he doesn't work out...you aren't out much. This really isn't hard to process. You seem to have a desire to make this analogy of yours work when in reality it really doesn't hold up.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,425 posts | 1288 
      Reply #90: Aug 30, 2024 02:40:39 pm
      Longy off you pop in your little red Fiat 500  ;D
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #91: Aug 30, 2024 02:53:31 pm
      Longy the thing is the tyres of this sports car have been kicked before! ;D

Quick Reply