Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

Rate the 2024 Summer Transfer Window out of 10

Read 2904 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,628 posts | 4925 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Rate the 2024 Summer Transfer Window out of 10
      Aug 30, 2024 10:07:01 pm
      It's all about opinions so...

We desperately need a CDM for me, (no way anybody is telling me that Grav is the answer after playing there against Ipswich and Brentford) and probably an LCB. So, that is 2 out of 4 areas we all more or less agreed we needed to strengthen in.

Instead, we got two random ones in the two positions that we are all probaly agreed that were fine in.

Aruguably, our three best players' contracts are in limbo and a few off the wage bill.

I like the Chiesa signing, but I feel that it needed to be a bonus on top of what we needed.

4/10 window.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Rate the 2024 Summer Transfer Window out of 10
      Reply #1: Aug 30, 2024 10:14:18 pm

We desperately need a CDM for me, (no way anybody is telling me that Grav is the answer after playing there against Ipswich and Brentford) and probably an LCB. So, that is 2 out of 4 areas we all more or less agreed we needed to strengthen in.

Instead, we got two random ones in the two positions that we are all probaly agreed that were fine in.

Aruguably, our three best players' contracts are in limbo and a few off the wage bill.

I like the Chiesa signing, but I feel that it needed to be a bonus on top of what we needed.

4/10 window.

I would keep the 3 contracts seperate from the transfer window

Not getting a cb in is not ideal but still 4 really good ones there

Cdm might not be the issue people think with Arnes system, again signing ons would be great but lets see how it plays out with whats there

Chiesa is a great signing. Covers Mo plus opens options for the system

Goalies a smaet move

Biggest concern ive got is letting so many promising young players go especially Baj, a few injuries and well be thin

6/10
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #2: Aug 30, 2024 10:16:31 pm
      Yeh think you hit right myself 4/10.  Right now. 
      I thought we needed a DM or and an experienced player in midfield.  There is too many young heads in their a bit risky especially in the real big games.

Needed a CB.  I am happy with the forward, think we needed one. 
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 548 
      Reply #3: Aug 30, 2024 10:19:23 pm
      A bit daft but let's say 3/10. A good one for FSG.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,425 posts | 1288 
      Reply #4: Aug 30, 2024 10:34:36 pm
      Top marks for saving money and running a tight ship. That's all we can ask for really. Hopefully save some more when Jan comes around to set us up nicely for the run in, and by next summer we might even manage to get some of the big earners off the books.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,628 posts | 4925 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5: Aug 30, 2024 11:01:55 pm
      A bit daft but let's say 3/10. A good one for FSG.

That's pretty much me you know, mate? Daft as F**k 😂
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,889 posts | 3004 
      Reply #6: Aug 30, 2024 11:03:11 pm
      3/10 for people that give a F**k about winning

9/10 for the rest of them
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,553 posts | 245 
      Reply #7: Aug 30, 2024 11:03:56 pm
      3 out of 10.

Failed to strengthen in the areas we needed, signed players (though good) for positions we do not need strengthening yet. Not renewing our 3 critical players contracts. Not backing your new manager.

Pretty much a disaster, clubs around us are strengthening or keeping at par last years spending.

Iā€™ve said it before. We act like a small club in transfers and always can find us at the bargain basement section in the major stores.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,055 posts | 6953 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #8: Aug 30, 2024 11:19:10 pm

explained in the scouting thread before I saw this one. Canā€™t be arsed copying and pasting!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #9: Aug 30, 2024 11:23:04 pm

explained in the scouting thread before I saw this one. Canā€™t be arsed copying and pasting!

Can't be arsed or too stoned!  :lmao:
      Borg
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts | 85 
      Reply #10: Aug 30, 2024 11:27:08 pm
      Arne Slot is the key signing of the window
      D has tightened up
      O is less predictable
      A better team already
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,055 posts | 6953 
      Reply #11: Aug 30, 2024 11:46:24 pm
      Well both, it is 845 am Saturday morning. Been up since 6 hoping the Varela deal went thru.

Nervous times calls for extra cones! 😂
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,613 posts | 1684 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12: Aug 30, 2024 11:53:44 pm
      Signed a backup attacker.
      And for this season, that seems it.
      2 out of 10.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #13: Aug 31, 2024 12:23:46 am
      3/10 seems right. Maybe willing to push it up to a 4 as we have managed to get some decent fees and we've managed to get a lot of youngsters out on loan which I've been an advocate for many years.

Like the 2 signings we've made but ultimately one is a squad player (probably too good to be a squad player in truth) and the other is a future signing we won't see until season and even then it's unlikely we'll see much of him as Ali wants to stick around.

No DM which was priority.
      No CB yet again (that's now 1 CB we've signed in 7 years which is astonishing).
      No Fullbacks.
      No new contracts.

Sooo yeah, safe to say Hughes and Edwards have pissed me right off.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #14: Aug 31, 2024 12:28:19 am
      This club, under these owners are incapable of attacking the market and pushing to be ambitious. 14 years and we've never done it once, always been reactionary yet the human minds will tell us to start raising the joy meter for next summer "as we're gonna be in for a busy summer", every window we fall into the same trap of getting pumped up and all excited only to be left bitterly disappointed, and it's not our faults....there's nothing we can do about it because this is the way our minds our wired.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,522 posts | 3512 
      Reply #15: Aug 31, 2024 06:28:44 am
      Itā€™s impossible to judge a transfer window in the present and can only do so when weā€™ve seen what impact itā€™s had on the club.

On the surface this one looks like a poor one for us but over time could prove to be a pivotal one. The keeper weā€™ve signed may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread and Chiesa could turn out to be so good that weā€™re not even arsed about Mo leaving on a free.

On the other hand the keeper could never actually play for us and Chiesa could end up like the rest of the Italians weā€™ve had represent us.

As for other positions that we didnā€™t strengthen, it could come back to bite us on the arse as the season progresses but it could end up be a blessing because Slot finds us a way of playing world class football with the players weā€™ve already got - something that might not have happened if weā€™d got the centre half and centre mid so many wanted.

So itā€™s up in the air at the minute just how good or bad this window has been. And it can only be truly answered, in my opinion, once weā€™ve had time to asses the impact itā€™s made.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,854 posts | 3793 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #16: Aug 31, 2024 06:45:00 am
      5.5/10 but as Dunlop has said we do not have the crystal ball to see the future.

Hope that rating improves because that it would mean that did well in the near future.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #17: Aug 31, 2024 07:07:59 am

4/10 window.

Does a mancs vote class boss ? 😂
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,645 posts | 1029 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press and F**k
      Reply #18: Aug 31, 2024 08:38:47 am
      2 out of 10 these owners are minges..moores would have spent more. They are happy with qualifying for the champions leauge not winning things
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #19: Aug 31, 2024 09:07:38 am
      2 out of 10 these owners are minges..moores would have spent more. They are happy with qualifying for the champions leauge not winning things

🤦ā€ā™‚ļø

Based on what exactly

As for rating the window - impossible to judge until the season has been finished

Slot has been very clear that the squad is in great shape

Getting Chiesa was superb , bringing in the two young lads is great and the GK also good

Someone to help the legs of VVD would have been good and someone to play in the double pivot

But the squad is in a good place , last season we lost legs up front and Chiesa will add into that

Think we are in for a great season
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,850 posts | 1889 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Aug 31, 2024 09:24:28 am
      Been a great few transfer windows, personally don't think we can look at them on Thier own each winter/summer it's an evolving beast.

Klopp and co have a built a superb squad already, we have tickled it a bit this summer, and expect it to be tickled a wee bit in January, but next summer depending on what virg and mo do, we could see the club spending those big bucks again that so many wish we would have right now.

All good and all that stuff.

8/10 for work done over past few seasons transfer windows.

YNWA
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 99 posts | 15 
      Reply #21: Aug 31, 2024 09:31:06 am
      2/10

FSG failed to back JĆ¼rgen and we've been saving up problems for the future ever since, always falling short because the drop in quality from the starting XI to the bench is massive.  Come Nov/Dec, when suspensions and injuries start kicking in, we'll see it again as an opportunity missed.

We were lucky Barca coughed up the Courtinho millions so we could buy Ali & Virge.

There's a lot worse than FSG but their lack of investment cost JĆ¼rgen titles. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      • Does anyone ever listen to him?
      Reply #22: Aug 31, 2024 09:33:28 am
      If you judged the process on sales and loans probably a 10/10.

Signing Freddy was great business.

Only concern is the squad looks very light. Kloppā€™s squad pushed for a Quadruple. This squad will have to sacrifice the domestic cups.

There is a solid squad there but itā€™s still just a slightly weakened version of Kloppā€™s.

January will need to be a better window for incomings.

The risk from this window is that lack of signings snowballs into three players walking at the end of their contracts now that Klopp is gone.

Slot has a lot of work to do.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,762 posts | 1193 
      Reply #23: Aug 31, 2024 09:41:52 am
      The summer window , like any window is the chance to improve the squad, and address the weaknesses that cost us last season.

That, unfortunately costs money. We talk a great game, but mostly underwhelm when is comes to fronting the cash. Add to that 3 players with 9 months to go who can sign elsewhere abroad 4 months from now.

1/10. A total failure.

We have a good squad, not good enough to challenge for the title, but enough to get what fsg crave ... a CL place.
      Don77

• 6,762 posts | 1193 
      Reply #24: Aug 31, 2024 10:03:20 am
      If you judged the process on sales and loans probably a 10/10.

Signing Freddy was great business.

Only concern is the squad looks very light. Kloppā€™s squad pushed for a Quadruple. This squad will have to sacrifice the domestic cups.

There is a solid squad there but itā€™s still just a slightly weakened version of Kloppā€™s.

January will need to be a better window for incomings.

The risk from this window is that lack of signings snowballs into three players walking at the end of their contracts now that Klopp is gone.

Slot has a lot of work to do.

Yep , as i said yesterday. Then you get fsg 'we cant fix it all in one summer' excuses. Its amazing how far back we have gone since we almost won everything in 22. We stood still and have continued to do so and we are in serious trouble.

Bradley could replace trent. But where will the money come from to replace virg, salah with like for like quality, plus address the other issues they have neglected for 3 summers now? Talking serious money and these parasites wont help.

Im shocked edwards ward and hughes have done nothing over the past months and overseen a disastrous window. No plan ... that is clear. And it just got harder for next summer. Better start organising because the others will just push on.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,936 posts | 708 
      Reply #25: Aug 31, 2024 10:28:40 am
      Quote from brezipool
      Been a great few transfer windows, personally don't think we can look at them on Thier own each winter/summer it's an evolving beast.

Klopp and co have a built a superb squad already, we have tickled it a bit this summer, and expect it to be tickled a wee bit in January, but next summer depending on what virg and mo do, we could see the club spending those big bucks again that so many wish we would have right now.

All good and all that stuff.

8/10 for work done over past few seasons transfer windows.

YNWA

But what about this summer's window, that was the question.

It went the way transfer windows usually go. Few if any signings, a few abandoning ship, and the usual flurry of last minute loan moves out of the club.

2/10. Paying 40m for a gk who isn't going to play a game this season (or possibly next) was a horrific waste of money imo. On the other hand, convincing a rival club to pay 25m for Van Den Berg (who barely played any games at all) was a masterstroke.

There's no possibility imo of TAA not signing a new contract, so that one can wait a bit longer. As for the others still waiting for their form, who knows?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #26: Aug 31, 2024 10:42:53 am

It went the way transfer windows usually go. Few if any signings, a few abandoning ship, and the usual flurry of last minute loan moves out of the club.

2/10. Paying 40m for a gk who isn't going to play a game this season (or possibly next) was a horrific waste of money imo. On the other hand, convincing a rival club to pay 25m for Van Den Berg (who barely played any games at all) was a masterstroke.

There's no possibility imo of TAA not signing a new contract, so that one can wait a bit longer. As for the others still waiting for their form, who knows?

The level of hyperbole from some is staggering

How can buying one of the most highly rated young GKā€™s be a ā€œhorrificā€ waste of money
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,522 posts | 3512 
      Reply #27: Aug 31, 2024 11:01:27 am
      The level of hyperbole from some is staggering

How can buying one of the most highly rated young GKā€™s be a ā€œhorrificā€ waste of money

I suppose thereā€™s always a chance that he doesnā€™t actually kick a ball for us so it could become a waste of money.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | 125 
      Reply #28: Aug 31, 2024 11:04:30 am
      Itā€™s impossible to judge a transfer window in the present and can only do so when weā€™ve seen what impact itā€™s had on the club.

On the surface this one looks like a poor one for us but over time could prove to be a pivotal one. The keeper weā€™ve signed may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread and Chiesa could turn out to be so good that weā€™re not even arsed about Mo leaving on a free.

On the other hand the keeper could never actually play for us and Chiesa could end up like the rest of the Italians weā€™ve had represent us.

As for other positions that we didnā€™t strengthen, it could come back to bite us on the arse as the season progresses but it could end up be a blessing because Slot finds us a way of playing world class football with the players weā€™ve already got - something that might not have happened if weā€™d got the centre half and centre mid so many wanted.

So itā€™s up in the air at the minute just how good or bad this window has been. And it can only be truly answered, in my opinion, once weā€™ve had time to asses the impact itā€™s made.

Can you please stop talking sense ... there's no place for that on here
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,522 posts | 3512 
      Reply #29: Aug 31, 2024 11:14:21 am
      Can you please stop talking sense ... there's no place for that on here

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #30: Aug 31, 2024 11:20:27 am
      I suppose thereā€™s always a chance that he doesnā€™t actually kick a ball for us so it could become a waste of money.

Itā€™s very highly unlikely though

FrenchRed
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 99 posts | 15 
      Reply #31: Aug 31, 2024 12:21:09 pm
      On the other hand, convincing a rival club to pay 25m for Van Den Berg (who barely played any games at all) was a masterstroke.

On the contrary - he had a good season at Mainz, and before that at Preston, albeit losing most of 22/23 to injury.  25M is a bit OTT but a good move for him and great value for us. 
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,809 posts | 1568 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #32: Aug 31, 2024 12:23:49 pm
      If we had a got a CDM and a CB on top of what we got it would have been a 10/10, if weā€™d have got one of those positions a 8/10, we didnā€™t get either so Iā€™d have to go to a 6/10ā€¦ got complete cover across the front line, replacement for Allison when he goesā€¦ but yeah I think a 6/10 is fair.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,850 posts | 1889 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33: Aug 31, 2024 01:25:46 pm

Yes I deliberately ignored the question, to give my more balanced sensible opinion.

Peace
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,092 posts | 8980 
      Reply #34: Aug 31, 2024 02:15:00 pm
      If Slot is happy etc etc
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #35: Aug 31, 2024 02:53:29 pm
      Our summer has been that bad we could sign Rabiot and resign Matip on frees and it'd go up to a 6/10.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #36: Aug 31, 2024 03:07:39 pm

Do you honestly think he would say otherwise.
      CT_LFC

• 6,850 posts | 1411 
      Reply #37: Aug 31, 2024 03:33:21 pm
      We do have a very good team, but our lack of activity was surprising. Was expecting more of turning the team over towards Slots vision, but at the end of the day i have full trust in how this team operates, which there are none better than.
      CT_LFC

• 6,850 posts | 1411 
      Reply #38: Aug 31, 2024 03:34:05 pm

Do you honestly think he would have come here without assurances on how things would get done.
      Scottbot

• 9,836 posts | 2255 
      Reply #39: Aug 31, 2024 03:37:30 pm

Pretty much agree with this mate. In my opinion itā€™s been sh*t. A non event really. Some decent sales but only player in and another lad who could prove to be great business further down the track. If I had to grade it right now itā€™s a 2/10 But as you say, you canā€™t properly grade it until we get into the season and can judge the impact of not signing anyone.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts | 282 
      Reply #40: Aug 31, 2024 03:41:49 pm
      4 out of 10

I think this is being fair and not being harsh or biased

Reasoning, what was expected first ? I remember klopp going saying the team needs 2 changes eg 2 in and maybe some out and I agreed with him

For me a good window would have been

Cb and cm as that was our weak  area

A great window, where expectations were exceeded

Cm, cb and an attacker, maybe even a second cm on top

What did we do there?

Far below what we needed, players and manager let down imo

None of the areas addressed to help us win the cl or pl

But we did bring an attacked, so some brownie points for that

With just the attacker, I would have said 2 out of 10. The keeper, isnā€™t here or there as itā€™s for years time

We did Good cost cutting, lowered the wages, got in a lot of fees

Therefore have it a 4

Would have been 7 with a cb or dm, 9 with both and 10 with all 3 with the sales

A real shame how we donā€™t reach for the stars
      CT_LFC

• 6,850 posts | 1411 
      Reply #41: Aug 31, 2024 03:42:19 pm
      Pretty much agree with this mate. In my opinion itā€™s been sh*t. A non event really. Some decent sales but only player in and another lad who could prove to be great business further down the track. If I had to grade it right now itā€™s a 2/10 But as you say, you canā€™t properly grade it until we get into the season and can judge the impact of not signing anyone.

I thought we would see more activity this summer but at the same time Slot is inheriting a much better team than JĆ¼rgen did, so perhaps he wanted to give everyone a chance before making big decisions.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #42: Aug 31, 2024 05:22:54 pm
      Do you honestly think he would have come here without assurances on how things would get done.

Yes it's F***ing liverpool  and if promises have been broken he quite rightly would say F**k all in public
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #43: Aug 31, 2024 05:28:12 pm
      Itā€™s very highly unlikely though

You think it is very highly unlikely that Allison signs an extension? Just asking
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #44: Aug 31, 2024 05:30:19 pm
      You think it is very highly unlikely that Allison signs an extension? Just asking

Yes I think we have two more seasons of him then he will go back to Brazil
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #45: Aug 31, 2024 06:19:19 pm
      Yes I think we have two more seasons of him then he will go back to Brazil

Fair enough.  Personally think there is a good chance he extends his contract. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #46: Aug 31, 2024 06:31:29 pm

Believe the reason why they looked at bringing in the GK is because he has told them he may well be going after the contract ends
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #47: Aug 31, 2024 06:40:51 pm

Didn't he say he is going nowhere.think we will lose Kellerher before  Ali.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #48: Aug 31, 2024 06:45:45 pm

I don't know anything from the inside.  Maybe that is why Kelleher is dragging his feet.

Personally think Allison is one of the best goalies in the world and would want him to stay longer and would want the club to offer him the extensions for that.  Accepting it is his decision.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #49: Aug 31, 2024 06:46:38 pm
      I don't know anything from the inside.  Maybe that is why Kelleher is dragging his feet.

Personally think Allison is one of the best goalies in the world and would want him to stay longer and would want the club to offer him the extensions for that.  Accepting it is his decision.

Agree about Ɓlisson - the best around and happy for him to stay until he retires
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #50: Aug 31, 2024 06:49:17 pm
      Didn't he say he is going nowhere.think we will lose Kellerher before  Ali.

That is my thinking too.  But if Allison is definitely leaving then he may stay. 
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #51: Aug 31, 2024 08:53:16 pm
      And we thought 12 months ago that JĆ¼rgen would be here until 2026. And in 12 months time, City could be in the pub league, slogging it out with the glamour of the Hulls and the Stokes of world football.

A year is a long time in football, so let's worry about next year's window when the time comes.

Let's all stop posting and just wait for things to happen

And how do you actually use this ignore function!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,092 posts | 8980 
      Reply #52: Aug 31, 2024 08:55:23 pm

Do you think as a squad, it's an upgrade on what he was working with last season?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,936 posts | 708 
      Reply #53: Aug 31, 2024 08:57:34 pm
      Quote from king kenny

And we thought 12 months ago that JĆ¼rgen would be here until 2026. And in 12 months time, City could be in the pub league, slogging it out with the glamour of the Hulls and the Stokes of world football.

A year is a long time in football, so let's worry about next year's window when the time comes.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #54: Aug 31, 2024 09:04:52 pm
      Let's all stop posting and just wait for things to happen

And how do you actually use this ignore function!

😂😂😂
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,988 posts | 295 
      Reply #55: Sep 01, 2024 01:03:50 am
      We needed three positions, one being a starter:
      RW, CB, DM
      =
      3/10
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,138 posts | 5153 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #56: Sep 01, 2024 08:11:56 am
      Canā€™t really judge it, cos Arne has inherited a very good Squad that wonā€™t need much enhancement, and even then he could find solutions within as weā€™ve seen with Gravenberch as DM, so for me itā€™s unfair to judge him as he has yet to bring in his own players, Chiesa was a opportunity we couldnā€™t let pass us by , but he certainly wouldnā€™t have been a target signing if we were desperate for forward at 26 yrs old,

We might have to wait for a window or two before we see the kind of players Arne wants to bring in, then we can truly judge what kind of window weā€™ve had ??

YNWA
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #57: Sep 01, 2024 08:28:37 am
      Canā€™t really judge it, cos Arne has inherited a very good Squad that wonā€™t need much enhancement, and even then he could find solutions within as weā€™ve seen with Gravenberch as DM, so for me itā€™s unfair to judge him as he has yet to bring in his own players, Chiesa was a opportunity we couldnā€™t let pass us by , but he certainly wouldnā€™t have been a target signing if we were desperate for forward at 26 yrs old,

We might have to wait for a window or two before we see the kind of players Arne wants to bring in, then we can truly judge what kind of window weā€™ve had ??

YNWA

Course you can judge it. Heā€™s asking about this window not others, take the 😎 off.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,138 posts | 5153 
      Reply #58: Sep 01, 2024 10:35:40 am
      Course you can judge it. Heā€™s asking about this window not others, take the 😎 off.

Hmmmm, let me think, weā€™ve made two signings in this particular window, one of which is a GK for the future in big Mama, and the other is a opportunity not to be missed, so yh letā€™s judge the window on those two ??
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #59: Sep 01, 2024 11:08:38 am

Hmmmm, let me think, weā€™ve made two signings in this particular window, one of which is a GK for the future in big Mama, and the other is a opportunity not to be missed, so yh letā€™s judge the window on those two ??

So neither improve the first team? Fans of your club are entitled to feel disappointed given the circumstances, especially when others ( on paper ) improved.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,092 posts | 8980 
      Reply #60: Sep 01, 2024 12:00:51 pm
      So neither improve the first team? Fans of your club are entitled to feel disappointed given the circumstances, especially when others ( on paper ) improved.

I hope you don't mean your lot, cos that really would be looking with rose tints on!!
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #61: Sep 01, 2024 12:36:25 pm
      Due to the fact that football is played by a team, I would suggest the addition of any single new player very seldomly improves a team as much as you think. A few new players don't work out...a few go on to have a great influence.....but in the main with recruitment, it's usually replacing like for like.

Watched Arsenal on MOTD....they didn't look improved to me.
      Harrisimo

• 8,660 posts | 1479 
      Reply #62: Sep 01, 2024 01:32:01 pm
      I have no issue over the lack of new faces. Slot obviously needs time. Throwing big money at it so early on with the new set up etc. probably wasn't the best idea. Gives the new set up time to fully assess the squad and what positions need reinforced.

Already shown Slot isn't slow to make decision. If it's not quite what he wants in game situations, changes will be made, sharpish. That's something the players will have to get used to. Even when it appears were coasting along.Names mean very little.

Slot: So far so good. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,055 posts | 6953 
      Reply #63: Sep 02, 2024 01:14:12 am
      My question is did City (well of course they would) and Arsenal add to what they had last year?

Did the 2 Teams who finished below us last year, Villa and Spuds, add to what they had last year to try to improve what they had already?

We signed a keeper we won't see till next year and that's if Ali leaves and I hope to God he doesn't.

We signed Chiesa and whilst I'm excited to see what he has to offer, is it a position we were really looking forward to strengthening? He's not gonna be a Mo replacement even if Mo's contract situation isn't sorted.

Love what I have seen of the Team so far but if Grav goes down, we are left with Endo and Mac and both of them are slow as F**k and get caught in possession too much.

Not enough was done in my eyes.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,645 posts | 1029 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press and F**k
      Reply #64: Sep 02, 2024 08:12:59 am
      If transfer acquisitions thanks FSG for the SCONE !!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,035 posts | 6624 
      Reply #65: Sep 03, 2024 01:55:38 pm
      Depending on how the keeper and Chiesa work out long term, it could conceivably be as high as an 8/10 if they both kick on.

Judging it right now (which admittedly is really tough to do) I think it's probably a 4/10. Don't think we addressed an immediate need. Yes Grav is looking good in his new position but to be honest, MacAllister is not so for me we've kind of traded there. Last season Mac was a boss and Grav fizzled.  Time will tell if Grav is durable enough to be our next Fabinho and if Mac and Dom kick on then we could have a really good and settled midfield, assuming there are zero injuries. Chances of that happening?

It's 4/10 for me.

If you add in the players waiting on new contracts it's a -3/10

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #66: Sep 03, 2024 02:23:31 pm

As for rating the window - impossible to judge until the season has been finished

Thatā€™s  simply defecting from the opening post question Pj. You donā€™t always have to sit on the fence defending your club when the majority of your fans are rightly disappointed with the Summer window and not what happens at the end of the season.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #67: Sep 03, 2024 02:30:07 pm
      Thatā€™s  simply defecting from the opening post question Pj. You donā€™t always have to sit on the fence defending your club when the majority of your fans are rightly disappointed with the Summer window and not what happens at the end of the season.

The window is ultimately judged on the performances

Last year we had a number of teams

Everton , Man Utd claiming to have ā€œwonā€ the transfer window

It doesnā€™t matter what happens in the world - everything is judged on the performances

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #68: Sep 03, 2024 02:46:41 pm
      The window is ultimately judged on the performances

Last year we had a number of teams

Everton , Man Utd claiming to have ā€œwonā€ the transfer window

It doesnā€™t matter what happens in the world - everything is judged on the performances

Thatā€™s not the argument/statement though.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,138 posts | 5153 
      Reply #69: Sep 03, 2024 03:06:41 pm

To me there is no disappointment, how can there be ? Weā€™ve signed two players, not because thatā€™s all we could afford, not because modern trends say we should, itā€™s a simple fact that we didnā€™t need to,

We have a new manager who hasnā€™t had enough time with his entire squad to understand fully what he may or may not need, he has inherited a squad of players, a very good squad of players who have yet to reach its full potential and until he has worked long enough with the squad he has inherited he wonā€™t know what is required,

For me it would be foolish to just buy for buying sake not knowing what is required, Gravenberch for example was used in different positions last season and actually couldnā€™t give his all because he wasnā€™t settled, we were in need for a No6 which we seen 2/3 players trialled in that position, and eventually Endo took the responsibility,

Arne wants someone younger and perhaps more athletic than Endo, tried to bring in Zubimendi who for personal reasons refused, so Arne turned to Gravenberch and the rest is history,

Last season we underachieved thru the injuries sustained throughout the entire campaign, so who knows how we would have faired had we a fuller squad to choose from, now fast forward three months with the same squad but a different manager, we had no need to enhance the squad last season so therefore we have no need to enhance it now, in time Arne will add the finishing touches and will eventually have his own players come in, but in the interim if it ainā€™t broke donā€™t f***in fix it !!

YNWA
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #70: Sep 03, 2024 03:11:42 pm

To me there is no disappointment, how can there be ? Weā€™ve signed two players, not because thatā€™s all we could afford, not because modern trends say we should, itā€™s a simple fact that we didnā€™t need to,

YNWA

Youā€™ve signed two players that wonā€™t get in your first 11 correct ?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #71: Sep 03, 2024 03:18:30 pm

Why wonā€™t cheisa get into the first 11 ?

And the days of ā€œfirst 11ā€ have long gone now
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,138 posts | 5153 
      Reply #72: Sep 03, 2024 03:22:46 pm

One will the other is for the future, Chiesa is the type of signing you just donā€™t let go, last season we were short up front losing Mo & Jota, and the over reliance on Gakpo et al was telling, not gonna happen again is it dipshit, the other signing is a young GK, who is for the future, he is his the best in class for his age group and his peers, he may be loaned out to gain the vital experience and education he will need to become our No 1 eventually, this is the difference between that f***in disgrace of a club of yours and Liverpool,

We are already signing players for the future, whilst youā€™re f***in lot are still living in the past !!

YNWA

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #73: Sep 03, 2024 08:12:08 pm

One will the other is for the future,

YNWA

Tell me more without going round the houses  please. Who drops out of your main 11.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,850 posts | 1889 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #74: Sep 03, 2024 08:46:31 pm
      Tell me more without going round the houses  please. Who drops out of your main 11.

The top starting 11 only works in August now.

After September it's rotation rotation rotation

Well that's for champions league teams . L o l
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #75: Sep 03, 2024 10:12:13 pm
      The top starting 11 only works in August now.

After September it's rotation rotation rotation

Well that's for champions league teams . L o l

So youā€™re also going round the houses now. 😂
      harrydunn08

• 5,984 posts | 993 
      Reply #76: Sep 03, 2024 11:40:41 pm
      I'd give it a 3.5 out of 10 rating.  We've signed 2 potentially good value for money players, but they were both more the "nice to have" rather than "need to have" category.  We've failed to sign proper replacements for 2 departing seniors despite knowing they were leaving for 12 months.  Lastly, we cocked up the intentended transfer of Zubi and were made to look a bit foolish by failing to land our #1 priority of the summer. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,138 posts | 5153 
      Reply #77: Sep 04, 2024 07:27:05 am

No one, itā€™s looking like Arne wants a 22 man squadā€¦ 2 for each positionā€¦. Heā€™s trimmed it already with a few youngsters out on various loan dealsā€¦.im
      Not entirely sure but I thin JĆ¼rgen only used 22 last season or two alsoā€¦. Lall might come up with the stats to tell us for sure, thatā€™s what it looks like to me!!

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,138 posts | 5153 
      Reply #78: Sep 04, 2024 07:48:36 am
      I'd give it a 3.5 out of 10 rating.  We've signed 2 potentially good value for money players, but they were both more the "nice to have" rather than "need to have" category.  We've failed to sign proper replacements for 2 departing seniors despite knowing they were leaving for 12 months.  Lastly, we cocked up the intentended transfer of Zubi and were made to look a bit foolish by failing to land our #1 priority of the summer. 

Harry, with respect yer talking bollocks, we didnā€™t fall to bring anyone, Zubimendi decided he didnā€™t want to become a Red something to do with his Mrs,
      We didnā€™t need to replace Matip we have Quansah, Arneā€™s tweak has allowed Gravenberch to be our DM so he if you like has replaced Thiago who incidentally didnā€™t play last season so wouldnā€™t be missed anyway, so thereā€™s yer two seniors replaced in your theory,
      As for youā€™re ā€˜nice to haveā€™ analogy, we signed a GK the best in his position amongst his peers, heā€™s 6ā€™6 and 22 yrs old, he will go out on loan for the next two years to learn , by which time I believe Alisson may be moved on,
      Chiesa was brought in to bolster our attack, we now have six top quality attackers to choose from , again two for each position,

After the dreaded international break (3 b4 Xmas) weā€™ll be playing up to three X per week, Arne wants his players fresh so expect plenty of rotation, so you could argue he was a need to sign,

Like Iā€™ve said before, thereā€™s no point in judging this window, Arneā€™s squad is JĆ¼rgenā€™s squad from last season heā€™s simply giving it a tweak or two and using a slightly different approach!! Simples .

YNWA
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #79: Sep 04, 2024 08:05:16 am

Finally! Glad we never had to go round the houses again with that one. So we agree on something? Improved  your squad but not main 11.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,239 posts | 176 
      Reply #80: Sep 04, 2024 09:24:28 am
      It's a 6/10. Because we sold two players we did not need for 60M and this money will be better used soon. At least, I think so. Chiesa and a GK for the future are good deals. We needed a CB and a DM. Hopefully, we won't feel the need for these positions if Gravenberch, Endo and MacAllister do a good job there and IF Konate stays fit. Then I might say we did have a good transfer season.

But getting that much money for a CB who is not good enough and Carvalho who is not needed is very very good business.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #81: Sep 04, 2024 10:00:01 am
      If we keep everyone fit and on form then we can challenge but let's see where we are in March 2025 let's not put too much pressure on players like Grav who is doing great stuff but it's a long season
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,138 posts | 5153 
      Reply #82: Sep 04, 2024 11:48:14 am
      Finally! Glad we never had to go round the houses again with that one. So we agree on something? Improved  your squad but not main 11.

Kunt !!

Howā€™s that for not going around the houses ??
      harrydunn08

• 5,984 posts | 993 
      Reply #83: Sep 04, 2024 01:29:13 pm
      Harry, with respect yer talking bollocks, we didnā€™t fall to bring anyone, Zubimendi decided he didnā€™t want to become a Red something to do with his Mrs,

I read that Zubi agreed to join, but then got cold feet at the idea of buying out his contract and forcing his way out.  Fair play, but why not offer Sociedad an extra 10M, 20M, or whatever to help make it happen?  No matter how you slice it, we failed to land our #1 target to improve the team for this season...

We didnā€™t need to replace Matip we have Quansah, Arneā€™s tweak has allowed Gravenberch to be our DM so he if you like has replaced Thiago who incidentally didnā€™t play last season so wouldnā€™t be missed anyway, so thereā€™s yer two seniors replaced in your theory,

You're right -- Matip and Thiago had injury riddled seasons and barely played.  And we fell short of great achievements at the tail end of last season when we ran out of gas.  I think if those 2 had been fit all season that we would have carried on to win the league.  You say they won't be missed -- that's probably true if winning the League Cup is the height of our ambitions, but I think we should be aiming for more. 

I'm a huge fan of both Quansah and Grav, but the goal should be for the young lads to usurp the seniors players -- not to remove the seniors and just give the young lads a more important role.  We're lucky Grav has adapted to the new role and system as quickly as he has, but we're only 1 injury away from Endo or Jones being our starting CM and neither one fills me with optimism.....

As for youā€™re ā€˜nice to haveā€™ analogy, we signed a GK the best in his position amongst his peers, heā€™s 6ā€™6 and 22 yrs old, he will go out on loan for the next two years to learn , by which time I believe Alisson may be moved on,
      Chiesa was brought in to bolster our attack, we now have six top quality attackers to choose from , again two for each position,

I'm not disappointed by either signing, but I stand by what I said.  Mama is not going to add to this year's team.  Chiesa adds depth to a position where we already have good depth.  We are lacking quality depth at CM/CDM and possibly CB if Konate and Gomez injury niggles remain.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #84: Sep 04, 2024 01:42:01 pm
      Zubimendi pulled out due to wanting to stay at Sociedad

It was reported that his family didnā€™t want to move etc

Any release clause to be paid by the would have just been facilitated by us - thatā€™s how it works there

Sociedad went on a charm offensive - he changed his mind and we move on

He may come to regret - they are not doing so well and also it seems he isnā€™t getting his big pay rise etc
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 32,035 posts | 6624 
      Reply #85: Sep 04, 2024 02:14:41 pm

After the dreaded international break (3 b4 Xmas) weā€™ll be playing up to three X per week, Arne wants his players fresh so expect plenty of rotation, so you could argue he was a need to sign,

Like Iā€™ve said before, thereā€™s no point in judging this window, Arneā€™s squad is JĆ¼rgenā€™s squad from last season heā€™s simply giving it a tweak or two and using a slightly different approach!! Simples .

YNWA

No point in judging the window? As respectfully as possible billy, that's utter bullshit. If we'd have signed Mbappe and Bellingham people would damn sure be judging our window a complete success before they've kicked a ball. So why can't we make judgements on the window as it stands knowing that yes, things down the road change and that may change people's views. That's with anything though. 3 wins in a row look great right now...if at the end of the season we are in 10th place, those three wins don't really mean sh*t.

Perfectly logical to discuss how things look right now...when down the road gets here...I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion then as well.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #86: Sep 04, 2024 04:46:33 pm

Kunt !!

Howā€™s that for not going around the houses ??

You forgot the manc. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø canā€™t you get anything right 🙄🤪
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #87: Sep 04, 2024 04:54:01 pm
      No point in judging the window? As respectfully as possible billy, that's utter bullshit. If we'd have signed Mbappe and Bellingham people would damn sure be judging our window a complete success before they've kicked a ball. So why can't we make judgements on the window as it stands knowing that yes, things down the road change and that may change people's views. That's with anything though. 3 wins in a row look great right now...if at the end of the season we are in 10th place, those three wins don't really mean sh*t.

Perfectly logical to discuss how things look right now...when down the road gets here...I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion then as well.

Donā€™t respect him just because heā€™s a scouser, well sort of! a woolly one. 😂 Your post hit the nail on the head. The opening poster was merely asking what  members opinions about  ā€œTHIS SUMMER WINDOWā€ and they gave it, the majority say it was a poor one which it was on paper.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,092 posts | 8980 
      Reply #88: Sep 04, 2024 05:55:43 pm

But those fans have quietened since Gravenburch started strutting his stuff. 😉
      gazred
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 928 posts | 343 
      Reply #89: Sep 05, 2024 12:16:38 am
      I don't think we should be focusing on the transfer window in isolation and giving it a score out of 10. A new management team has come in and appears to be doing a good job of taking over from Klopp. I know it's only 3 games so far to early to make a full assessment but the early signs are good.

2 months ago I said we needed a DM, a CB and maybe a LB but I know F**k all about football compared to the professionals.

We tried to buy the lad from Sociedad but he decided to stay with his boyhood club. Fair enough, I respect him. Stevie did the same thing when he could have gone to Chelsea, Madrid or somewhere else to win trophies.

I'm excited by Chiesa and the new GK. The new management  team are being cautious and taking time to develop a new team. Evolution not revolution, I give them 9 out of 10 for that.
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2024 07:30:29 am by gazred »
      Borg
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts | 85 
      Reply #90: Sep 05, 2024 01:27:29 am
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2024 01:32:37 am by Borg »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #91: Sep 05, 2024 07:56:07 am
      Haven't posted in here yet as I'm not sure how you can 'rate' a transfer window until you know the outcome of a season, or at least well init the games to see how your squad stacks up.

In theory you could rate a window 1/10 as we didn't buy a CM but the season could prove that we didn't need to buy one as a player emerged to fill the role tha manager needed.

Conversely out midfield could collapse and then the not getting a CM and that 1/10 looks more accurate.

Also I'm not sure how extending contracts for existing players is anything really to do with a summer transfer window so not sure why some of you guys factor this into your ratting.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      • Does anyone ever listen to him?
      Reply #92: Sep 05, 2024 10:27:03 am
      Haven't posted in here yet as I'm not sure how you can 'rate' a transfer window until you know the outcome of a season, or at least well init the games to see how your squad stacks up.

In theory you could rate a window 1/10 as we didn't buy a CM but the season could prove that we didn't need to buy one as a player emerged to fill the role tha manager needed.

Conversely out midfield could collapse and then the not getting a CM and that 1/10 looks more accurate.

Also I'm not sure how extending contracts for existing players is anything really to do with a summer transfer window so not sure why some of you guys factor this into your ratting.

Still reckon the squad now has too many midfielders that can play in the 8/10 role that Klopp used
      and not enough to play in the 6/8 role that Slot uses.

We might se in January that one player leaves when they haven't got playing time and another,
      more suitable player is signed.

At the same time the same thing could be said about the LB position.

The squad would stay at it's current size but we'll start to see Slot players.

As it stands this could be the strongest team Slot ever manages.
      It's arguably the best squad since the 19/20 season.

So let's see what happens.

Quick Reply