Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

Rate the 2024 Summer Transfer Window out of 10

Read 2907 times
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,762 posts | 1193 
      Re: Rate the 2024 Summer Transfer Window out of 10
      Reply #23: Aug 31, 2024 09:41:52 am
      The summer window , like any window is the chance to improve the squad, and address the weaknesses that cost us last season.

That, unfortunately costs money. We talk a great game, but mostly underwhelm when is comes to fronting the cash. Add to that 3 players with 9 months to go who can sign elsewhere abroad 4 months from now.

1/10. A total failure.

We have a good squad, not good enough to challenge for the title, but enough to get what fsg crave ... a CL place.
      Don77

• 6,762 posts | 1193 
      Reply #24: Aug 31, 2024 10:03:20 am
      If you judged the process on sales and loans probably a 10/10.

Signing Freddy was great business.

Only concern is the squad looks very light. Kloppā€™s squad pushed for a Quadruple. This squad will have to sacrifice the domestic cups.

There is a solid squad there but itā€™s still just a slightly weakened version of Kloppā€™s.

January will need to be a better window for incomings.

The risk from this window is that lack of signings snowballs into three players walking at the end of their contracts now that Klopp is gone.

Slot has a lot of work to do.

Yep , as i said yesterday. Then you get fsg 'we cant fix it all in one summer' excuses. Its amazing how far back we have gone since we almost won everything in 22. We stood still and have continued to do so and we are in serious trouble.

Bradley could replace trent. But where will the money come from to replace virg, salah with like for like quality, plus address the other issues they have neglected for 3 summers now? Talking serious money and these parasites wont help.

Im shocked edwards ward and hughes have done nothing over the past months and overseen a disastrous window. No plan ... that is clear. And it just got harder for next summer. Better start organising because the others will just push on.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,936 posts | 708 
      Reply #25: Aug 31, 2024 10:28:40 am
      Quote from brezipool
      Been a great few transfer windows, personally don't think we can look at them on Thier own each winter/summer it's an evolving beast.

Klopp and co have a built a superb squad already, we have tickled it a bit this summer, and expect it to be tickled a wee bit in January, but next summer depending on what virg and mo do, we could see the club spending those big bucks again that so many wish we would have right now.

All good and all that stuff.

8/10 for work done over past few seasons transfer windows.

YNWA

But what about this summer's window, that was the question.

It went the way transfer windows usually go. Few if any signings, a few abandoning ship, and the usual flurry of last minute loan moves out of the club.

2/10. Paying 40m for a gk who isn't going to play a game this season (or possibly next) was a horrific waste of money imo. On the other hand, convincing a rival club to pay 25m for Van Den Berg (who barely played any games at all) was a masterstroke.

There's no possibility imo of TAA not signing a new contract, so that one can wait a bit longer. As for the others still waiting for their form, who knows?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #26: Aug 31, 2024 10:42:53 am

It went the way transfer windows usually go. Few if any signings, a few abandoning ship, and the usual flurry of last minute loan moves out of the club.

2/10. Paying 40m for a gk who isn't going to play a game this season (or possibly next) was a horrific waste of money imo. On the other hand, convincing a rival club to pay 25m for Van Den Berg (who barely played any games at all) was a masterstroke.

There's no possibility imo of TAA not signing a new contract, so that one can wait a bit longer. As for the others still waiting for their form, who knows?

The level of hyperbole from some is staggering

How can buying one of the most highly rated young GKā€™s be a ā€œhorrificā€ waste of money
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,522 posts | 3513 
      Reply #27: Aug 31, 2024 11:01:27 am
      The level of hyperbole from some is staggering

How can buying one of the most highly rated young GKā€™s be a ā€œhorrificā€ waste of money

I suppose thereā€™s always a chance that he doesnā€™t actually kick a ball for us so it could become a waste of money.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | 125 
      Reply #28: Aug 31, 2024 11:04:30 am
      Itā€™s impossible to judge a transfer window in the present and can only do so when weā€™ve seen what impact itā€™s had on the club.

On the surface this one looks like a poor one for us but over time could prove to be a pivotal one. The keeper weā€™ve signed may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread and Chiesa could turn out to be so good that weā€™re not even arsed about Mo leaving on a free.

On the other hand the keeper could never actually play for us and Chiesa could end up like the rest of the Italians weā€™ve had represent us.

As for other positions that we didnā€™t strengthen, it could come back to bite us on the arse as the season progresses but it could end up be a blessing because Slot finds us a way of playing world class football with the players weā€™ve already got - something that might not have happened if weā€™d got the centre half and centre mid so many wanted.

So itā€™s up in the air at the minute just how good or bad this window has been. And it can only be truly answered, in my opinion, once weā€™ve had time to asses the impact itā€™s made.

Can you please stop talking sense ... there's no place for that on here
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,522 posts | 3513 
      Reply #29: Aug 31, 2024 11:14:21 am
      Can you please stop talking sense ... there's no place for that on here

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #30: Aug 31, 2024 11:20:27 am
      I suppose thereā€™s always a chance that he doesnā€™t actually kick a ball for us so it could become a waste of money.

Itā€™s very highly unlikely though

FrenchRed
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 99 posts | 15 
      Reply #31: Aug 31, 2024 12:21:09 pm
      On the other hand, convincing a rival club to pay 25m for Van Den Berg (who barely played any games at all) was a masterstroke.

On the contrary - he had a good season at Mainz, and before that at Preston, albeit losing most of 22/23 to injury.  25M is a bit OTT but a good move for him and great value for us. 
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,809 posts | 1568 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #32: Aug 31, 2024 12:23:49 pm
      If we had a got a CDM and a CB on top of what we got it would have been a 10/10, if weā€™d have got one of those positions a 8/10, we didnā€™t get either so Iā€™d have to go to a 6/10ā€¦ got complete cover across the front line, replacement for Allison when he goesā€¦ but yeah I think a 6/10 is fair.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,850 posts | 1889 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33: Aug 31, 2024 01:25:46 pm

Yes I deliberately ignored the question, to give my more balanced sensible opinion.

Peace
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,095 posts | 8981 
      Reply #34: Aug 31, 2024 02:15:00 pm
      If Slot is happy etc etc
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #35: Aug 31, 2024 02:53:29 pm
      Our summer has been that bad we could sign Rabiot and resign Matip on frees and it'd go up to a 6/10.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #36: Aug 31, 2024 03:07:39 pm

Do you honestly think he would say otherwise.
      CT_LFC

• 6,850 posts | 1411 
      Reply #37: Aug 31, 2024 03:33:21 pm
      We do have a very good team, but our lack of activity was surprising. Was expecting more of turning the team over towards Slots vision, but at the end of the day i have full trust in how this team operates, which there are none better than.
      CT_LFC

• 6,850 posts | 1411 
      Reply #38: Aug 31, 2024 03:34:05 pm
      Do you honestly think he would say otherwise.

Do you honestly think he would have come here without assurances on how things would get done.
      Scottbot

• 9,836 posts | 2255 
      Reply #39: Aug 31, 2024 03:37:30 pm
      Itā€™s impossible to judge a transfer window in the present and can only do so when weā€™ve seen what impact itā€™s had on the club.

On the surface this one looks like a poor one for us but over time could prove to be a pivotal one. The keeper weā€™ve signed may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread and Chiesa could turn out to be so good that weā€™re not even arsed about Mo leaving on a free.

On the other hand the keeper could never actually play for us and Chiesa could end up like the rest of the Italians weā€™ve had represent us.

As for other positions that we didnā€™t strengthen, it could come back to bite us on the arse as the season progresses but it could end up be a blessing because Slot finds us a way of playing world class football with the players weā€™ve already got - something that might not have happened if weā€™d got the centre half and centre mid so many wanted.

So itā€™s up in the air at the minute just how good or bad this window has been. And it can only be truly answered, in my opinion, once weā€™ve had time to asses the impact itā€™s made.

Pretty much agree with this mate. In my opinion itā€™s been sh*t. A non event really. Some decent sales but only player in and another lad who could prove to be great business further down the track. If I had to grade it right now itā€™s a 2/10 But as you say, you canā€™t properly grade it until we get into the season and can judge the impact of not signing anyone.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts | 282 
      Reply #40: Aug 31, 2024 03:41:49 pm
      4 out of 10

I think this is being fair and not being harsh or biased

Reasoning, what was expected first ? I remember klopp going saying the team needs 2 changes eg 2 in and maybe some out and I agreed with him

For me a good window would have been

Cb and cm as that was our weak  area

A great window, where expectations were exceeded

Cm, cb and an attacker, maybe even a second cm on top

What did we do there?

Far below what we needed, players and manager let down imo

None of the areas addressed to help us win the cl or pl

But we did bring an attacked, so some brownie points for that

With just the attacker, I would have said 2 out of 10. The keeper, isnā€™t here or there as itā€™s for years time

We did Good cost cutting, lowered the wages, got in a lot of fees

Therefore have it a 4

Would have been 7 with a cb or dm, 9 with both and 10 with all 3 with the sales

A real shame how we donā€™t reach for the stars
      CT_LFC

• 6,850 posts | 1411 
      Reply #41: Aug 31, 2024 03:42:19 pm
      Pretty much agree with this mate. In my opinion itā€™s been sh*t. A non event really. Some decent sales but only player in and another lad who could prove to be great business further down the track. If I had to grade it right now itā€™s a 2/10 But as you say, you canā€™t properly grade it until we get into the season and can judge the impact of not signing anyone.

I thought we would see more activity this summer but at the same time Slot is inheriting a much better team than JĆ¼rgen did, so perhaps he wanted to give everyone a chance before making big decisions.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #42: Aug 31, 2024 05:22:54 pm
      Do you honestly think he would have come here without assurances on how things would get done.

Yes it's F***ing liverpool  and if promises have been broken he quite rightly would say F**k all in public
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #43: Aug 31, 2024 05:28:12 pm
      Itā€™s very highly unlikely though

You think it is very highly unlikely that Allison signs an extension? Just asking
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #44: Aug 31, 2024 05:30:19 pm
      You think it is very highly unlikely that Allison signs an extension? Just asking

Yes I think we have two more seasons of him then he will go back to Brazil
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,253 posts | 482 
      Reply #45: Aug 31, 2024 06:19:19 pm
      Yes I think we have two more seasons of him then he will go back to Brazil

Fair enough.  Personally think there is a good chance he extends his contract. 

Quick Reply