Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Chelsea [Premier League] Sun 20th Oct @ 4:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of October and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W8 D6 L7

Managerial Shortlist

Read 85180 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,875 posts | 3841 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #782: Mar 29, 2024 06:37:51 pm
      No; Alonso is the standout of the young and up and coming...but he doesn't want the job.

Amorin won the double in Portugal after wining the club with Braga and he will prob win the league again this season

He has a better track record than Xabi currently
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,875 posts | 946 
      Reply #783: Mar 29, 2024 06:41:37 pm
      Emery had a proven track record wining multiple Trophies in Europe and domestically , he also took Arsenal to a Europa Lge final - Gerrard took Villa to the relegation zone
      Dress it up anyway you like he still got the Jimmy Mack and the general consensus is that his Arsenal gig had been a failure.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,456 posts | 1311 
      Reply #784: Mar 29, 2024 06:42:59 pm
      Agreed Amorim is now the standout candidate. I gather his sides play with high intensity, he seems like an energetic character and is only 39 and crucially he's won trophies, somewhat against the odds, having taken Sporting to their first title I believe in 19 years, and is continuing his good work this season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,563 posts | 3527 
      Reply #785: Mar 29, 2024 06:45:19 pm
      Your Emery, Arsenal/Villa point is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier....namely; he was judged to have failed at Arsenal, but was given another chance at Villa...in which he has seemingly excelled. Yet no one on here seems keen to give SG a second chance....odd.

He was given another chance at a smaller club than where he'd failed though. Most managers are afforded that.

Very few managers will be given a bigger job after failing at a small(er) club.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,875 posts | 3841 
      Reply #786: Mar 29, 2024 06:46:04 pm
      Dress it up anyway you like he still got the Jimmy Mack and the general consensus is that his Arsenal gig had been a failure.

There is no dressing up - he just didn’t fit in at Arsenal - but he won the Europa Lge 4 times - and with two different clubs , as well as winning trophies at PSG - there is no comparison to Gerrard

If Gerrard wants the job then go out and prove he deserves a second chance
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,875 posts | 946 
      Reply #787: Mar 29, 2024 06:47:54 pm
      Amorin won the double in Portugal after wining the club with Braga and he will prob win the league again this season

He has a better track record than Xabi currently
      The two league's are chalk and cheese..You might as well include a guy whose won the Isthmian league nine times on the trot.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,875 posts | 3841 
      Reply #788: Mar 29, 2024 06:50:37 pm
      The two league's are chalk and cheese..You might as well include a guy whose won the Isthmian league nine times on the trot.

Nonsense - his team beat both Porto and Benfica who had dominated for years and it was their first league title for 15 years I think , then added the cup and is looking to do it again
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,875 posts | 946 
      Reply #789: Mar 29, 2024 06:55:04 pm
      He was given another chance at a smaller club than where he'd failed though. Most managers are afforded that.

Very few managers will be given a bigger job after failing at a small(er) club.
      I'm obviously not his agent....There's no indication he'd even want the job...My opinion is, given the names knocking around , I'd prefer him rather than the others.....It doesn't matter what any of us say....Someone will get the job and I'll support that person.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,131 posts | 83 
      Reply #790: Mar 29, 2024 06:56:48 pm
      Klopp just won 2 major titles AFTER his squad got ramped up with major money, he didn't leave big shoes to fill. Alsonso just has different plans. I still like Benitez to come back because I think he could win us major trophies with our squad. Also I rather lose with "our guys" than win with Mr. Good Ebening or other mercenaries, I'd even prefer Stevie over them.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,875 posts | 3841 
      Reply #791: Mar 29, 2024 07:01:14 pm
      Klopp just won 2 major titles AFTER his squad got ramped up with major money, he didn't leave big shoes to fill. Alsonso just has different plans. I still like Benitez to come back because I think he could win us major trophies with our squad. Also I rather lose with "our guys" than win with Mr. Good Ebening or other mercenaries, I'd even prefer Stevie over them.

Rafa ?! 😂😂
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,235 posts | 1655 
      Reply #792: Mar 29, 2024 07:05:23 pm
      Putting the Gerrard at Villa/him in saudi to one side for a moment…I don’t think he’s shown much ability to actually implement the style he seems to want, being physical, front foot, strong defensively.

The biggest thing after Jürgen is the manager needs a chance. I think a significant portion of the fanbase would be sceptical from the outset so it wouldn’t work. His rep as a captain is going to set an expectation that he just ‘knows’ and work against him
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,343 posts | 580 
      Reply #793: Mar 29, 2024 07:09:36 pm

Why don't you go back to your own teams boards? I don't get it 😕
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 126 
      Reply #794: Mar 29, 2024 07:46:50 pm
      I hadn't realised Xabi had ruled himself out. Did we ever actually offer him the job?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,875 posts | 3841 
      Reply #795: Mar 29, 2024 07:54:35 pm
      I hadn't realised Xabi had ruled himself out. Did we ever actually offer him the job?

He has just stated that he is staying at Bayer for next season - prob to stop all the speculation
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,409 posts | 893 
      Reply #796: Mar 29, 2024 07:59:08 pm
      I don’t think it will be him , wouldn’t be a surprise if he went to Bayern and would do well there

Whilst I don’t think he suits us he has done well at Brighton

I think Amorin is a good fit , as also is Nagelsmann

It’s a shame that Pep Lijnders gets a raw deal as he could be an outside bet

Slot at Feyenoord plays a very high pressing energy style as well

Amorim looks like he is good and I think he is worth the risk

De Zerbi reminds me of Brendan Rodgers, sells himself too much.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,875 posts | 3841 
      Reply #797: Mar 29, 2024 08:09:22 pm
      Amorim looks like he is good and I think he is worth the risk

De Zerbi reminds me of Brendan Rodgers, sells himself too much.

He is that type of character - I don’t think it’s someone that suits us tbh
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,128 posts | 2866 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #798: Mar 29, 2024 08:33:31 pm
      There will always be some level of sentiment when looking at past players

In most cases this is always a bad choice. Look at United with Ole. 🤦‍♂️ To be fair though I thought Alonso deserved a chance despite lack of experience for a top club.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,128 posts | 2866 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #799: Mar 29, 2024 08:34:41 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      rossyred

• 9,638 posts | 1734 
      Reply #800: Mar 29, 2024 08:44:04 pm
      Amorim might not want to come either.  Very young and at the start of a project or could.be lined up by other prem teams  . Not saying we won't get him but let's keep an open.mimd
      Don77

• 6,891 posts | 1226 
      Reply #801: Mar 29, 2024 09:14:41 pm
      Your Emery, Arsenal/Villa point is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier....namely; he was judged to have failed at Arsenal, but was given another chance at Villa...in which he has seemingly excelled. Yet no one on here seems keen to give SG a second chance....odd.

Emery had proven his credentials at Sevilla ... he did great things there and won european trophies too. Gerrard has done nonthing. Won a pub league, got sacked with a great group of players, and now hes raking it in managing in another pub league.

If he wasnt a former player nobody would even mention him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,992 posts | 3018 
      Reply #802: Mar 29, 2024 09:20:21 pm
      I love Stevie, I still think he's the best player to have ever kicked a ball for us but I just don't think he has it up top to be a top manager. If he really believed it himself he would have gone down to the Championship and built again (or gone back to Rangers) but he fu**ed off to Saudi.

If he sacks that off in the summer and gets back to some proper work then fair enough but honestly his best hope to join us at any point is to do a Solskjaer and hope he's in the right place at the right time to be appointed caretaker manager should one of our appointments fail.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,456 posts | 1311 
      Reply #803: Mar 29, 2024 09:22:40 pm
      Amorim might not want to come either.  Very young and at the start of a project or could.be lined up by other prem teams  . Not saying we won't get him but let's keep an open.mimd

Not sure 4 years in is the start of a project. He's won the league, a couple of cups, and may yet win the league again this season. Seems like the right time for a step up in level if you ask me. Can't really see we'd have any competition in the prem, maybe Bayern though.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,992 posts | 3018 
      Reply #804: Mar 29, 2024 09:25:27 pm
      If it ain't Amorim I'd chuck big money at Postecoglou. Might not work out but it'll be fun as F**k whilst he's here.

Quick Reply