Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

Uefa Champions League 24/25

Read 2399 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Uefa Champions League 24/25
      Reply #23: Aug 29, 2024 09:46:46 pm
      What do you think of the new Europa League format mate?

Probably a dig and rightly so 😂 not looked into yet mate.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #24: Aug 29, 2024 10:21:02 pm
      It's a load of boll*cks....If it ain't broke etc. Administrators again trying to squeeze more games towards the broadcasters, who in turn squeeze the advertisers...who in turn squeeze the subscribers....and all the time the players just burn out with exhaustion.

Football choking itself to death with greed.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,808 posts | 7056 
      Reply #25: Aug 29, 2024 10:30:32 pm
      Should finish top 8. Home games tougher than aways.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,936 posts | 708 
      Reply #26: Aug 29, 2024 10:57:36 pm
      Quote from Longy-Shops
      It's a load of boll*cks....If it ain't broke etc. Administrators again trying to squeeze more games towards the broadcasters, who in turn squeeze the advertisers...who in turn squeeze the subscribers....and all the time the players just burn out with exhaustion.

This rant always surfaces every time there's a change from the normal schedule, as it was in 1992. And football is still going as strong as ever. 

Honestly, how many stars are going to play every single minute of every single one of these group games?

This format was confirmed and announced in April 2021. Too late complaining about it now.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #27: Aug 29, 2024 11:05:02 pm
      This rant always surfaces every time there's a change from the normal schedule, as it was in 1992. And football is still going as strong as ever. 

Honestly, how many stars are going to play every single minute of every single one of these group games?

This format was confirmed and announced in April 2021. Too late complaining about it now.
      Don't care what you think/say ...I've posted my opinion and I don't need it validated.
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 99 posts | 15 
      Reply #28: Aug 30, 2024 07:36:52 am
      I don't like the new format but I'll give it time.  Depending on the fixture list, it may turn out to be quite interesting near the end.  If a team from pot 3 or 4 get a few wins then they'll be motivated to get into the play-offs.  Every team could be a potential banana skin.

Look at Villa, for example: Bayern (H), Leipzig (A), Juventus (H), Brugge (A), Celtic (H), Young Boys (A), Bologna (H), Monaco (A).  I reckon, with one good performace against a top team, they'll qualify.

It's a bit daft though that after so many games there are still 24 teams that go through.  I guess it ends the usual 2 strong teams v 2 whipping boys of the old format.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #29: Aug 30, 2024 07:55:56 am
      To me looks like more games just to end up tight the same or similar teams as always in the next round.

Smacks of trying to squeeze as much revenue as possible out of it.

Not convinced we need even more games in a fixture calendar
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,992 posts | 2855 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #30: Aug 30, 2024 08:21:30 am

Spot on Longy, many of us been saying for a while far to many games and that’s the reason why more injuries as the body just can’t take it no matter fit they are.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,889 posts | 3004 
      Reply #31: Aug 30, 2024 08:27:51 am
      The Super League was the best thing that happened to UEFA because at the time it was never going to get through but it allowed UEFA to make these changes to the Champions League pretty much undetected.

Let's forget FIFA want their slice of the pie too with the revamped Club World Cup next summer (thankfully we haven't qualified this time but it's likely we will in the future).
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,714 posts | 1621 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #32: Aug 30, 2024 08:58:12 am
      I wonder if this will affect managers picking a team for particular matches. Time management to avoid muscle fatigue and all that. It could be detrimental to the competition in some respects. You can't have your first-team players playing to an optimal standard with all these games. Something has to break and unfortunately, it's usually the players.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #33: Aug 30, 2024 09:58:27 am
      This is how I see us faring.

Pot 1 team (Home) - Madrid (Draw)
      Pot 1 team (Away) - Leipzig (Draw)

Pot 2 team (Home) - Leverkusen (Win)
      Pot 2 team (Away) - Milan (Draw)

Pot 3 team (Home) - Lille (Win)
      Pot 3 team (Away) - PSV (Win)

Pot 4 team (Home) - Bologna (Win)
      Pot 4 team (Away) - Girona (Surprise Loss)

Around 15 points. Can see us being slack against the lesser sides, especially away from home but see Girona causing us more problems than PSV due to their style.

By the way, does anyone know the dates all of these league phase games are supposed to be played?
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,936 posts | 708 
      Reply #34: Aug 30, 2024 09:59:01 am
      Quote from Longy-Shops
      Don't care what you think/say ...I've posted my opinion and I don't need it validated.

It's not your opinion, it's the standard rant rehashed every time there's a change in schedule, if not you, then someone else. 

Whether it be two extra games in this, a change in the international calendar, or new/expanded tournaments, we're always told how greed is killing football. It never does. More people want to watch it all the time, more players want to play in this competition, and now they will.

Quote from FrenchRed
      I don't like the new format but I'll give it time. 

It's a bit daft though that after so many games there are still 24 teams that go through. 

It's not 24 teams qualifying. The top 8 qualify, plus 8 from the next 16. You could finish 9th in the group and still not make the first knockout round.
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 99 posts | 15 
      Reply #35: Aug 30, 2024 12:57:00 pm
      By the way, does anyone know the dates all of these league phase games are supposed to be played?

Matchday 1: 17–19 September 2024
      Matchday 2: 1/2 October 2024
      Matchday 3: 22/23 October 2024
      Matchday 4: 5/6 November 2024
      Matchday 5: 26/27 November 2024
      Matchday 6: 10/11 December 2024
      Matchday 7: 21/22 January 2025
      Matchday 8: 29 January 2025

Knockout round play-offs: 11/12 & 18/19 February 2025

Round of 16: 4/5 & 11/12 March 2025
      Quarter-finals: 8/9 & 15/16 April 2025
      Semi-finals: 29/30 April & 6/7 May 2025
      Final: 31 May 2025
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2024 12:58:27 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,808 posts | 7056 
      Reply #36: Aug 30, 2024 01:00:32 pm
      To me looks like more games just to end up tight the same or similar teams as always in the next round.

Read this an article.

Rather than 96 games to eliminate 16 teams, there are 144 to eliminate nine.

More games, that have less important attached to them.

Projections suggest 14-15 points will be needed to finish in the top eight for automatic qualification for the last 16, and eight-nine points to be in the top 24 and secure a playoff spot. Which is to say that after three of their eight games, teams could effectively be through.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #37: Aug 30, 2024 01:01:44 pm
      It's not your opinion, it's the standard rant rehashed every time there's a change in schedule, if not you, then someone else. 

Whether it be two extra games in this, a change in the international calendar, or new/expanded tournaments, we're always told how greed is killing football. It never does. More people want to watch it all the time, more players want to play in this competition, and now they will.

It's not 24 teams qualifying. The top 8 qualify, plus 8 from the next 16. You could finish 9th in the group and still not make the first knockout round.
      Rhetorical question to which I really don't want an answer...but how is my opinion not my opinion?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,850 posts | 1889 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: Aug 30, 2024 04:01:31 pm

Smacks of trying to squeeze as much revenue as possible out of it.

Not convinced we need even more games in a fixture calendar

Eufa have said its about making more money, the clubs asked for it.

Also acknowledged the fixture pile up, but clubs wanted more games and more money, so just gonna need bigger squads.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,425 posts | 1288 
      Reply #40: Aug 30, 2024 04:24:45 pm
      It's a load of bollocks in my view. We get more games, but not necessarily more important games, in an already congested schedule. Clearly a money spinning idea from UEFA. Why did they get rid of the two group phases 20 years ago only to now introduce a big F**k off league that resembles a tumble dryer?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,674 posts | 3024 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #41: Aug 30, 2024 09:32:04 pm
      Great group

sh*te system
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,936 posts | 708 
      Reply #42: Aug 31, 2024 11:21:20 am
      Quote from Longy-Shops
      Rhetorical question to which I really don't want an answer...but how is my opinion not my opinion?

Well you're going to get one.

"Your" opinion has been re-posted again by someone else since.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #44: Aug 31, 2024 11:58:04 am
      Well you're going to get one.

"Your" opinion has been re-posted again by someone else since.
      Try constructing a sentence using grammar that allows the point you're trying to make to be clearly understood.
      In short: Just because someone shares my opinion doesn't dilute or negate my opinion.

Explanation:
      I'll presume this is what you mean't: Somebody else on this forum has posted their opinion which mirrors my opinion...if so, this is what is commonly referred to as a shared opinion. A shared opinion can be across multitudes of people...an example being, a great number of Liverpool fans think Mo Salah is our best player....They collectively share that opinion. Importantly what you seem unable to grasp, is that the opinion of each and every one of those people has been formed by them...they own that opinion in their head...I can't have someone else's opinion, and no one else can have my opinion....That doesn't/can't mean I can't share an opinion....
      ...Enjoy the game tomorrow
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,522 posts | 3513 
      Reply #45: Aug 31, 2024 12:38:44 pm
      Fixture dates have been released;

Start away to Milan on September 17th.

Bologna Oct 2nd
      Leipzig Oct 23rd
      Leverkusen Nov 5th
      Real Madrid Nov 27th
      Girona Dec 10th
      Lille Jan 21st