Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Milan?

Alisson Becker
      (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      (4.6%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      (7.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      (0%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      (41.5%)
      Cody Gakpo
      (30.8%)
      Diogo Jota
      (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      (1.5%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      (10.8%)
      Mohamed Salah
      (1.5%)
      Joe Gomez
      (0%)
      Wataru Endo
      (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      (0%)
      Federico Chiesa
      (1.5%)

Voting closes: Today at 10:00:01 pm

AC Milan 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 3145 times
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Re: AC Milan 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Sep 17, 2024 11:10:35 pm
      Ratings for the game;

Ali - 6

Trent - 7.5
      Ibou - 8
      Virgil - 8
      Kostas - 6.5

Grav - 9
      Mac - 7
      Szobo - 7.5

Salah - 7
      Jota - 6
      Gakpo - 9
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #369: Sep 17, 2024 11:31:48 pm
      Ratings for the game;

Ali - 6

Trent - 7.5
      Ibou - 8
      Virgil - 8
      Kostas - 6.5

Grav - 9
      Mac - 7
      Szobo - 7.5

Salah - 7
      Jota - 6
      Gakpo - 9
      Another .5 for Virgil and you'd have been spot on.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #370: Sep 18, 2024 12:25:03 am
      Another .5 for Virgil and you'd have been spot on.

You reckon he was better than Ibou?

I’m not sure where he was going for the first goal so for that reason I didn’t rate him above.

Kostas was far too high but he should’ve seen there was an an extra man spare and he did an Ibou by being too attracted to the ball when he needed to hold his position, that little action allowed Pulisic to have a free run.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,055 posts | 6953 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #371: Sep 18, 2024 05:31:09 am
      Get the fuckkkk innnnn

Nice way to start off on our Journey to Number 7
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,854 posts | 3793 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #372: Sep 18, 2024 05:54:57 am
      The three dutch were excellent. MOTM is Ryan.

Allison apart the first 7 minutes, he had nothing to do, nothing. He was so cold that he gave them the ball, one time he was called to clear in the second half.

If Jota wants his place to stay his, he needs to improve. Gakpo's best position is on the left.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,645 posts | 1029 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press and F**k
      Reply #373: Sep 18, 2024 08:06:09 am
      Poor start but recovered and went on to dominate the game Grave looked good again, Jota was a worrying, and hey we scored 2 goals from a corner wow. Let’s do the same to Bournemouth on Sat
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,941 posts | 3991 
      Reply #374: Sep 18, 2024 08:43:03 am
      Jota will find his scoring boots, I can feel it.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,988 posts | 295 
      Reply #375: Sep 18, 2024 08:43:21 am
      Worst game I’ve seen Ali have in a while.
      Ibou and Virgil were immense.
      Trent played well, but did seem to tire.
      Kostas was pretty solid to be fair, just still a bit of a maverick and needs to stop shooting with his right…
      Grav is so slick. Love that he always seems to play the simple ball but will also always play the progressive ball if it’s on.
      Macca not up to his usual standards after an awful weekend performance. Needs a rest imho.
      Szobos energy’s impressive, but quite untidy throughout the game.
      Gakpo my MOTM, was a constant threat. Hard to leave him out at the weekend.
      Jota form has dropped after the first 2 games of the season. Doesn’t even seem to be offering too much off the ball. Also not sure if he’s the type to play himself into form, has always been streaky.
      Salah was unlucky to not get on the scoresheet even if was a bit quieter than usual. Wish Chiesa would have had a longer run out.

Great result, not an easy place to go. Roll on the weekend.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,419 posts | 794 
      Reply #376: Sep 18, 2024 10:30:46 am
      Good confidence booster after Saturday's shock defeat. Controlled the game well after early setback.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,660 posts | 1479 
      Reply #377: Sep 18, 2024 10:52:14 am
      Good result. The early goal didn't dent us that much. Regrouped and took control, wasn't the best Milan team but we showed a clear determination to get the win. Gakpo is so strong on the ball and he must be a consideration for B'mouth. Not overly bothered about Jota. He will convert the chances and I don't think Nunez is in the frame just yet.

Slot is still finding out, still assessing the squad. B'Mouth at a similar level to Forest so be interesting to see how we deal with them.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,864 posts | 72 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #378: Sep 18, 2024 12:37:06 pm
      Gave Gakpo MOTM, such a handful for defenders, pace strength ,although Ryan was close with a great midfield display . Konate was a beast in defence and we need to keep him fit to back up Trent . good performance from the lads and worth the result . ..That bloke on the microphone really got on my tits with his wailing ,hope he doesn't bring that to Anfield !
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 99 posts | 15 
      Reply #379: Sep 18, 2024 12:54:53 pm
      Great performance after a poor start - Grav immense again for my MOTM.  Mo worked hard and unlucky not to get a couple of goals. 
      Millsy75
      • Forum Ian St John

• 453 posts | 77 
      Reply #380: Sep 18, 2024 01:23:42 pm
      Gave Gakpo MOTM, such a handful for defenders, pace strength ,although Ryan was close with a great midfield display . Konate was a beast in defence and we need to keep him fit to back up Trent . good performance from the lads and worth the result . ..That bloke on the microphone really got on my tits with his wailing ,hope he doesn't bring that to Anfield !
      we're not playing them at anfield are we
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,660 posts | 1479 
      Reply #381: Sep 18, 2024 01:41:43 pm
      we're not playing them at anfield are we

Bologna next up, then RB Leipzig...then the one we've all been waiting for...dundunder.....Baye r Leverkusen...H...step up to the plate....Mr. Xabi Alonsoooooo..
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts | 282 
      Reply #382: Sep 18, 2024 04:10:11 pm
      Grav was sensational
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #383: Sep 18, 2024 05:48:41 pm
      Not sure what Ali did wrong other than make a great save at the end. Grav has to win an award for the most improved player he was dominant last night. 7 times champions humbled at home
      Great night for Arne and the boys
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #384: Sep 19, 2024 09:58:31 am
      Will he stick with Gakpo or bring back Diaz and will he pick Nunez over Jota.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,239 posts | 176 
      Reply #385: Sep 19, 2024 11:33:06 am

I hope Nunez gets a chance to start. I'm not convinced he has a future here now. Technically, he's a bit lacking and decision making is still an issue. But he deserves a chance if Jota is not scoring.

I hope Gakpo starts too. He deserves a chance in the league and has been very good since the end of last season and in the Euros.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,230 posts | 488 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #386: Sep 19, 2024 11:43:52 am

Have a feeling it'll be Diaz and Jota.

Gakpro was class against Milan but I think Arne will want to see a bit more in his PL cameos before having his mind swayed. Gakpro to start West Ham/Bologna, Diaz Bournemouth/Wolves
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,522 posts | 3512 
      Reply #387: Sep 19, 2024 02:57:50 pm
      Can't really ask for much more from an away game in Europe - especially when you're going to such an iconic stadium like the San Siro.

Not for the first time in our history, we made an appalling start against AC Milan though. What the F**k we were doing in those first couple of minutes to let them in is beyond me. Really well taken goal by them as well. But then as the game went on, we grew into it and dominated for large parts. Probably took our foot off the pedal for the last ten or fifteen minutes but the game was practically won at that point.

A good start to this year's European Cup though and ultimately it's the results that matter. We've got four games at Anfield, where you always fancy us on any European night. Win those and we're on 15 points, they were saying on commentary that 16 is guaranteed automatic qualification. So yeah we can already feel confident of going into the next round as long as we're professional to get the job done when we are at home.

Alisson - couldn't do anything with the goal and didn't really have much else to do. Wasn't a great night with the ball at his feet. Felt a bit slow to move it on and was almost caught a couple of times.

Alexander-Arnold - not for the first time, he's proven how good a defender he can be against tricky wingers in the European Cup. I don't know much about European footy but I know Leao is meant to be something special, Trent hardly broke sweat dealing with him. One run maybe where he was bettered by the Milan lad. And of course from dead ball situtations we know how good he can be and two assists, one free kick and one corner, showed that. Really impressed by Trent.

Konate - thought he was poor against Forest last week but against Milan he was outstanding, other than the goal where I thought he was a little tentative to get over and block the shot. Sort of stuttered over there. Not that he should have had to cover the entire left hand side but that's another argument. Lovely header for his goal. Kept Milan quiet for the rest of the game. Couple of good blocks in there as well. Immense.

Van Dijk - like his partner beside him, he was immense other than the goal. I've no idea where he was as Milan just carved us open. But after that, your typical flawless display from the skipper. Great header to get his goal. And looked as good as ever.

Tsimikas - again, other than the goal they scored, he didn't do much wrong. What he was doing for the goal is anyone's guess. F***ing nowhere in sight. But grew into it, kept Milan's right hand side quiet for much of it and a good solid 90 minutes in his legs.

Szoboszlai - very, very well taken goal. Wasn't the easiest finish and he done so well with it. But that really all he did do in my eyes that was all that good. Seemed wasteful in possession and still far too indecisive for my liking. Though it's clear me and Arne have different opinions on this as Dom is the one midfielder who always seems to get a full run out.

Gravenberch - first half was probably his worst performance of the season, not because he was bad but more because he wasn't as good as he has been since the season began. Second half though, he started bossing it again and is really making that position his own. We may still look to strengthen in that area come January but so far Grav is looking right at home playing there.

Mac Allister - one thing that can be said for Mac is he gets in the wars. Opposition teams love to kick him to kingdom come, which I think is a credit to how good they know he is when he has the ball at his feet. He wasn't as instrumental as we know he can be but he was good enough. Hasn't quite got going this season but is doing just about enough.

Salah - was a constant threat again, could have easily had another goal to his name if it wasn't for the bar. A motivated Mo is a scary though.

Jota - another game of nothingness from Diogo. And he's been like that for much of the season. I always think of him as a finisher and not much else but the one real chance he had against Milan, like against Forest, he fluffed. It does seem though that Slot doesn't fancy or trust Nunez to lead the line from the start so Jota will start anyway. Gakpo's performance in Italy, albeit from the left, might just give him a shout for starting up top.

Gakpo - as I've just said his performance was boss. Not just the run for Dom's goal but in general he was a threat. I'm not a huge fan of him playing from the left but Tuesday night was the best I've seen him in that position. He looked hungry and had a point to prove. Was gliding past their players all game. Really impressed by Cody.

Diaz - came on and it just seemed that the subs disjointed us a little as we stopped playing as well when they entered the game. Admittedly the game was all but sewn up by that point.

Nunez - basically the same as Lucho above. Although there was a bit more energy from him than when he came on against Forest so that has to be seen as a positive.

Gomez - good to see him get some minutes at last this season. We're gonna need as many players fit as possible if we're to achieve what we're capable of so getting Joey back out there can only help in that regard.

Endo - my cult hero. He came on the pitch and kicked someone. That may not be everybody's cup of tea in the modern game but I love players like that. F**k ability, just as long as you're willing to get stuck in.

Chiesa - like the many hundreds before him, he can now tell everybody that he's played for Liverpool Football Club. No matter how his Liverpool career pans out, he can now claim to have played for the biggest club in the world. And in the European Cup no less.

Overall, a fairly comfortable win away from in Europe and exactly what we needed after the Forest game. Get qualification sorted as easily as possible will help us so winning a tricky game to start the campaign is exactly what David Johnson ordered.

It was a chance for us to show some real character as well after going behind so early on. We could have folded but we didn't. We stood up to the fight and got the win.

So yeah, a really pleasing result on a day when we were reminded once again that football is only a game and there are much more important things than it in life. The tributes to Phil Dooley were touching.

Well in Reds!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #388: Sep 19, 2024 08:15:17 pm
      Still buzzing about the performance  and even more the result. If we could get Darwin working and scoring what season we could be in for
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,055 posts | 6953 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #389: Yesterday at 07:26:05 am

Szoboszlai - very, very well taken goal. Wasn't the easiest finish and he done so well with it. But that really all he did do in my eyes that was all that good. Seemed wasteful in possession and still far too indecisive for my liking. Though it's clear me and Arne have different opinions on this as Dom is the one midfielder who always seems to get a full run out.

[

As always, a great read mate but I'm glad you thought the same on Szobo. I thought exactly the same but was a bit perplexed when a lot of people on social media and in here, I'm pretty sure, if memory serves correct, were saying he was MOTM in their eyes. I thought to myself at the time, was I that stoned?

Thought he came alive when Mac went off, but before that, he was frustrating the F**k out of me.

Well taken goal though, I must admit!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,522 posts | 3512 
      Reply #390: Yesterday at 05:24:28 pm
      As always, a great read mate but I'm glad you thought the same on Szobo. I thought exactly the same but was a bit perplexed when a lot of people on social media and in here, I'm pretty sure, if memory serves correct, were saying he was MOTM in their eyes. I thought to myself at the time, was I that stoned?

Thought he came alive when Mac went off, but before that, he was frustrating the F**k out of me.

Well taken goal though, I must admit!

I think Shearer gave him man of the match on commentary and that always influences peoples opinion. If a pundit says it then it must be true so everyday fans start saying it. And I only think Shearer picked Dom was because of the goal, which tends to be the case for any commentator picking their man of the match. If they scored then they must, by default, of had a good game.

I think on here though we’re a bit smarter in general than that when it comes to football and form our own opinions rather than what the media tell us to think. And that’s why there’s a lot more votes for Gravenberch and Gakpo as man of the match.

Quick Reply